• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gaming on Tegra 2 or hummingbird

I'm gaming Spectral Souls on my Nexus S right now. Works great. The game is a Sony PSP port, Japanese tactical RPG with anime characters. The installer installs a massive 1GB app directly into your SD. By tactical RPG I mean the characters fight in a 3D grid on a turn based fashion. If you have played Disgaea or Final Fantasy Tactics, you should know what I mean.

Upvote 0
Hummingbird is behind Tegra 2. However, The updated platform Exynos is on par with Tegra 2.
The question is - does the Tegra Zone (app store for Tegra 2 platforms) make a difference? If HD quality games (like from Gmaeloft) make their way to Tegra Zone exclusive, then Tegra 2 has an advantage here.

That's the thing about nvidia. They really really care about gamers. They have the experience. TI, qualcomm and Samsung aren't known for games; they just make nice things for phones.

Upvote 0
Hummingbird is behind Tegra 2. However, The updated platform Exynos is on par with Tegra 2.
The question is - does the Tegra Zone (app store for Tegra 2 platforms) make a difference? If HD quality games (like from Gmaeloft) make their way to Tegra Zone exclusive, then Tegra 2 has an advantage here.

I'm not going to call you a liar, but I don't think that Tegra 2 is based off of hummingbird.

Upvote 0
That's the thing about nvidia. They really really care about gamers. They have the experience. TI, qualcomm and Samsung aren't known for games; they just make nice things for phones.

Qualcomm's GPU was purchased from AMD/ATI, so they have a history there. TI and Samsung are using PowerVR GPUs in their SOCs. PowerVR used to havea PC line, and even made the GPU for the Dreamcast and many arcade machines.

I'm not going to call you a liar, but I don't think that Tegra 2 is based off of hummingbird.

I don't think that's what he was saying. He was comparing their relative performance, not insisting they were from the same line. At least, that's what I got out of it.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones