Gaming on the Optimus STips

1. LightyKD

LightyKD Well-Known Member

List Updated: 09/06/2011 5:03pm EST

I know there's a game section but I figured it would be good to have a thread which list which major game are compatible with our phone. Further and deeper discussion about individual games can go back to the games section. The games listed are in no order.

NOTE (2D) = sprite based, (3D) = polygon rendered not stereoscopic 3D. File sizes do not reflect extra files that may be downloaded to your SD card

--Gaming Related Aps Worth Getting--

ESRB / The official app of the Entertainment Software Ratings Board / great for parents / 944 Kb

Game Center / The official app for GameFly / great for tracking your orders and checking out the latest gaming news and trailers. / 912 Kb

GameFaqs Offline Reader / Unofficial GameFAQS app / pretty good for reading gaming guides. / 280 Kb

--Emulators--

Nesoid / Nintendo Entertainment System / SD Movable / 648 Kb

Gensoid / Sega Genesis / SD Movable / 808 Kb

SNesoid / Super Nintendo Entertainment System / SD Movable / 2.11 Mb

Gameboid / Game Boy-Color-Advanced / 1.77 Mb

psx4droid v2 / PlayStation One / SD Movable / kinda slow. Needs tweaking / 972 Kb

-------------------------------------< Games 2D >------------------------------------------

-Bonsai Blast / Puzzle / 2D / SD Movable / 516 Kb

-Abduction 2 / Action / 2D / SD Movable / 508 Kb

-Angry Birds: Seasons / Action / 2D / SD Movable / 2.16 Mb

-Pac Man Championship Edition (Namco) / Action-Puzzle / 2D / 6.46 Mb

-Tetris (EA) / Puzzle / 2D / 1.59 Mb

-Uno (Gameloft) / Card / 2D / Multiplayer via passing around the Phone / 4.28 Mb

-Guitar Hero 5 / Rhythm / 2D / 5.8 Mb

-Guitar Hero World Tour / Rhythm / 2D / Relies heavily on your network connection. Game MUST be played in portrait mode.

-Robo Defense / Action / 2D / 2.12 Mb

-Prince of Persia (Ubisoft) / Action / 2D / 1.72 Mb

-Gangstar 2 -Kings of L.A. (gameloft) / Action / 2D / 3.31 Mb

-Game Dev Story / Simulation / 2D / File Size "N/A"

-Buka / Action / 2D / 3.45 Mb / NO Multitouch.

-Panzer Panic / Action / 2D /

-Shoot U / Puzzle / 2D

-Android TicTacToe / Puzzle /2D

-Zenonia 1 / RPG / 2D / LONG install time

--------------------------------------< Games 3D >-------------------------------------

-Need for Speed: Shift / Racing / 3D / 39.09 Mb (DO NOT download the HD version. This is by far the BIGGEST game I have dealt with. So big that I had to delete updates to Youtube and Gmail s well as uninstall Facebook and Twitter -_-'. The game has very minor slowdowns but it's usually during transitions.)

-The Sims 3 / Simulation / 3D / 12.04 Mb (DO NOT download the HD version. Medium load times.)

-Raging Thunder / Racing / 3D / 3.49 Mb

-Asphalt 3: 3D / Racing / 3D / 9.3 Mb

-Turbo Fly 3D / Racing / 3D

-Speed Forge 3D / Racing / 3D

-HomeRun Battle 3D / Sports / 3D / File Size "N/A" (I currently do not have it installed)

-Toon Wars / First Person Shooter / 3D / File Size "N/A" / Slight Control Issues

-Fruit Ninja / Action / 3D / 15.36 Mb

-Crusade of Destiny /Action RPG / 3D /

-Aarmageddon Squadron / Airplane Shooter / 3D / non movable / 9.46 Mb

-Backbreaker Football / Sports/ 3D / non movable/16.89mb

-Big Mountain Snowboarding / Sports / 3D /non movable /12.09mb

-Hockey nations 2010 / Sports / 3D / non movable / 12.22mb

-Wave Blazer / Racing / 3D / non movable / 6mb

-Pirate Wings / Racing-Adventure /3D / non movable / 19.22mb

-Magnetic Sports Soccer / Sports / 3D / non movable / 8.84mb

-Welcome to Hell / Survival Horror / 3D / non movable / 17.23mb

-Mystique: Chapter 3-Obitus / Survival Horror / 3D /Surprisingly, parts one and two do not work. Two wont load past the title screen and part one will not display the move forward and back buttons for character movement. :(

----------------------------------< Notable Mentions >----------------------------------

FIFA 10 / 3D / Sports / Non movable / 5.59mb / It seems to be playing fine but I don't know how the game controls so if anyone would like to test and hit me back to confirm, that would be appreciated.

NOVA / 3D / 9.99 Mb / After Installation the game black screens on the menu, if you know where to tap you can still get into the actual game but the actual game had graphics glitches. Still, the game is beautiful!

---------------------------< PlayStation One Emulation with FPse >----------------------------

This Emulator seems to have problems with multi touch. If you're playing a racing game I would advise you to map your acellerator and break buttons to the "back" and "search kays which leaves the D-Pad for touch input.

* R4-Ridge Racer Type 4 / 607Mb (Rounded) / Racing
    Bad (in game) audio / 35-43fps / frame skip @ 35fps / No Framelimiter / No screen Filtering / Screen Size: Small / Problems turning left with multi-touch.

* Colin McRae Rally / 345Mb (Rounded) / Racing
    Good audio / Playable 32-40fps / frame skip @ 30fps / No Framelimiter / No screen Filtering / Screen Size: 4:3 centered / Problems turning left with multi-touch

* Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX / 315Mb (Rounded) / Sports
    Good audio / Playable 35-40fps / frame skip @ 35fps / No Framelimiter /No screen Filtering / Screen Size: 4:3 centered /Surprisingly, this game even on normal settings starts up well. It's only until you get to actual gameplay that you may want to optimize your settings

* Capcom vs. SNK-Millennium Fight 2000 Pro / 602Mb (Rounded) / Sports
    OK audio / Playable 45fps avg / frame skip @ 35fps / No Framelimiter / No screen Filtering / Screen Size: small / Screen size: 4:3 Centered gets you an avg of 30-35 fps

Advertisement
    :
    Mynoven likes this.
  2. ens04

ens04 Member

oh man, this list is awesome. This is something i was looking forward to find. I needed to know which games are compatible with our phone. I really hope this list keeps getting updated.

Also, if you can add MiniSquadron to this list because it also runs very smooth on the LG Optimus S.

Hopefully this community will also help to increase this list.

Will you also be adding an incompatible list? because I think they're some certain games that our phones wont be able to run
  3. LightyKD

Sorry, no incompatible list. The way I see it is, if the game isn't listed then 1) don't try it or 2) download the .apk file, test and buy the game if you're anti piracy kind of person (or don't if you're a bloody pirate ;) ). BTW "Game Dev Story " is one addictive and fun game! I clocked three hours this morning of constant play!
  4. ens04

ens04 Member

I tried Game Dev Story and I found it really boring. Not my type of game. I can't see myself playing those types of games.
  5. trixiecakes

trixiecakes New Member

Try playing midnight bowling 2 ((gameloft) all is well until u wish to go to career mode and the menu asks u to type n ur name to continue. No luck bringing up android keyboard ... hence game is now worthless!! I cry sad...:(
  6. LightyKD

Quick note. I'll be looking for more 3D games to test. I have a good feeling the Mystique series will work. I tried the first one on my android tablet (which has pretty crappy specs) and it ran pretty well. If anyone know of any other 3D games to try feel free to note them so I can test and add them to the master list. Sad part about all of this is that, this phone has such a low amount of internal disk space and most of these 3D games are big and don't allow for transfer to the SD :(
  7. LightyKD

OK. More games added to the list. Feel free to check it out. Maybe a mod can sticky this thread.
  8. ens04

ens04 Member

n64oid
  9. LightyKD

WAIT A MINUTE!!! Are you confirming that we now have a N64 emulator?!?! Does it run any game well? Hell I just want to play Mario 64 from my phone! Also, I'm trying to find SD (standard definition) versions of all of the Gameloft games. It's clearly obvious that gaming on Android is just as bad as gaming on PC, where developers constantly force you to get the latest and greatest device just to play a damn game -_-' . One last thing. Has anyone been able to install Angry Birds? I can install the "Seasons" version but every time I try to download and install the original version I get a "error -18" :(

Quick Edit: I found a copy of N64oid but I can't seem to get it to run :( Did you buy your copy from the marketplace or get it elsewhere. Do you think you could send me the .apk file in a PM or email?
  10. LightyKD

OK I'm hella confused! If anyone knows how to get N64oid to run, please feel free to respond with your input.
  11. gilbequick

gilbequick Well-Known Member

I've been running Angry Birds, both the original and Seasons for a long time now. Both work great. Sometimes a little laggy but still great.
  12. LightyKD

Lucky you. I can only run the "Seasons" version. Every time I try to download the original from the marketplace I get a error -18. Is your copy from the market or an .apk file downloaded elsewhere.

Off quote: Ive been playing with FPse (the other PS1 emulator) for a short while. I was able to play "Capcom vs SNK 2000" at 35-45 frames per second (with the emulator set on small screen). I'm about to try a 3D game next so I'll keep you all informed. The lame part is, I only have a 2 gig card for my phone and PS1 games are huge :( I'll be back in a few.
  13. gilbequick

gilbequick Well-Known Member

From the Market.
  14. LightyKD

Added Sims 3 to the list. I'm looking for someone willing to create SD compatible versions of these games. I can provide the .apk files if someone is willing to help.
  15. LightyKD

Hello everyone,

Due to a recent situation, I regret to inform you all that I will not be able to actively add updates to the first post of this thread. I still believe that this thread needs to be "stickied" but until I can get a hold of another Optimus S, the chances of me adding future games to this list are pretty slim. Thanks to all who supported this thread and I hope that this thread has helped many of you who are avid gamers on this device.

Sincerely,
    LightyKD
    Mynoven likes this.
  16. destii22

destii22 New Member

-Mystique: Chapter 3-Obitus / Survival Horror / 3D /Surprisingly, parts one and two do not work. Two wont load past the title screen and part one will not display the move forward and back buttons for character movement.

Mine issue is similar, Chapters 1 and 3 work excellent. But the buttons for the movement are not in chapter two. :eek: and I don't understand why....? Help?!