GAOSP Gapps problem now solved for Bell users! (no need to pay and unlock the phone anymore)

Last Updated:

1. weasel

weasel Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. DaSchmarotzer

DaSchmarotzer Blame it on me VIP Member

Great news! Did someone try it? :D

3. weasel

Downloaded it last night. Have to get my chores done first before I get a chance to play ( car needs it brakes fixed first and I need to cut the grass ) Will report if I do it. I do have one question though, before I do, can I use the Brazilian amss or should I remove it ?

4. DaSchmarotzer

Seeing that you want the Brazilian baseband, what you want to flash is pretty much the amss. I wouldn't touch the package.

Keep us posted if you do try it. :D

Oh, and in case you didn't know, doing this will remove the custom recovery, so there's no going back if it doesn't work properly. You'd have to flash BMIK6 again. I think the baseband is not saved in the Nandroid backups.

5. mikeh36

mikeh36 Well-Known Member

6. mikeh36

DaSchmarotzer, do you know how you can flash just the amss when it's part of a One Package? I tried replacing the amss in the Bell package but that didn't work out so well. :)

Cancel that. I figured out a way to do it.

Now, I just have to figure out a way round the "service provider control key" that it wants.

7. weasel

I wonder if its asking for that because you only did the amss. From the looks of the posts in the link I provided, it looks as though they flashed the entire package, not just the amss.

8. mikeh36

I did it both ways, full install and just amss. Same result both times.

Here's the scoop. Your phone has to be unlocked but once it is it works like a damn. So, Bell users have two choices. Unlock the phone and use the Brazilian rom or amss OR do the YouTube trick mentioned in my post above and then try to sort out the market (perhaps installing YAAM if it can be installed on the phone).

Edit: I should note that I used fastgsm.com to unlock my phone. It's $20 US to do it.

9. weasel

Project for tomorrow. Will download latest nightly and try the YouTube trick. Then I'll give YAAM a go.

BTW, never hear of YAAM. Thanks for that, hell I think I'll try it on Galaxo first just to see.

10. ct2020

ct2020 Well-Known Member

Keep us posted. Also, I've been in touch with Drakaz and made him aware of the problem.

He would like a logcat of the phone taken right after you try to sign into the market. If someone could get me that I'll pass it on to him.

Although... I'm not sure how you would get a logcat if you can't get on the market to download Log Collector app. I guess you could save the APK and then install that way?

If anyone does, you can send the file that logcat makes to me tonywhitney at gmail dot com

11. weasel

Don't know if I'll have the chance to do this in the next couple of days. Work obligations. If I figure out how to save the apk and get time to do this, I'll post.

12. Lelouch

Lelouch Well-Known Member

Download via PC and install via adb (Android SDK) and that's about it.

13. weasel

14. weasel

Hoping to keep this alive in case someone finds a solution. I recently discovered that there are 2 gapps out there for Froyo. One is 8mb and the other is 17mb. Anyone out there give both a try ? I am going to presume that someone out there has and it didn't work, but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

15. ct2020

ct2020 Well-Known Member

Any news on this?

16. weasel

Not that I have heard. I tried two different Gapps and it didn't do anything different. Haven't tried the 17mb one, but my guess is I would have the same results. There is some talk on Drakaz's forum that suggest that it has something to do with the imei number. Beyond that, I have no idea.

http://www.drakaz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=456

17. DaSchmarotzer

Edited the misleading thread title.

Right now the only solution would be to unlock the phone and flash the Brazilian baseband, right? I haven't tried GAOSP in a while. :eek:

18. weasel

You are exactly right.

19. weasel

There is a new nightly and new gapps out. Anyone with an L try it yet ? I plan on downloading it today, but won't get a chance to play until tonight.

20. dri001

dri001 Well-Known Member

I have 7500L. I downloaded the new GAOSP. Still the same problems with the Market and syncing the GApps. Had to do the You Tube trick. Still looking it over. I am going to use it for a few days, but will have to revert back to Galaxo. I will miss my purchased apps. I can't unlock my phone to switch to Brazilian basebands. FastGSM didn't work and I am not going to pay Bell $75.00.

21. mikeh36

What happened when you tried fastgsm? I had no problems with my I7500L when I tried it and I know of one other I7500L user that used them as well (he's the one who told me).

22. dri001

dri001 Well-Known Member

I had the stock Bell firmware on my phone. It was in debugging mode and the SIM card was out. I couldn't get past the first step. Enter code #7284#. I couldn't install the drivers that were required. The phone constantly displayed the message "Not registered on the network." I enlisted the help of their customer support. They couldn't do anything either. They are refunding my money. They suggested that my phone was rooted possibly. It was not.

23. weasel

Well I am seriously bummed that the new nightly still doesn't have the market working. Best I can tell from looking around is that no one is even looking at the issue. I am completely torn between thoughts of tossing my phone against the wall ( hey its only $500 Dollars !! ) and dealing with " She who must be obeyed ". I'd go ahead and unlock it, but I am still under warranty. At least now I can still flash back to stock if I have a hardware issue.

24. Snazzy

Snazzy Well-Known Member

Ignore the steps where you enter the codes. Just put the phone is USB Debug mode and click unlock. Follow the Youtube video that fastgsm includes on the i7500 unlock page. I did it this morning successfully. I suspect the #7284# codes are for other Samsung phones.

Unlock Samsung I7500. | FastGSM.com

dri001 likes this.
  25. weasel

Well I am not having a good time. Downloaded latest nightly and Gapps. YouTube works,but I get the same error when trying to open my email as what we would get when accessing the market. Tried to reinstall gapps, but no change. Besides re downloading and trying again, is this something else I am going to have to live with ??