• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Garminfone Sales Slow, Says Analyst

phandroid

Admin News Bot
Apr 12, 2008
File this one under “expected”:*the Garminfone sold through T-Mobile hasn’t got off to the hottest start since its launch back in June, with analyst Yair Reiner estimating only about 20,000 units have moved off the shelves. Reiner, who works with Morgan Keegan, surveyed 50 T-Mobile stores and came to the conclusion that most sold no [...]

More...

Reactions: techdaring
I'm surprised no ones "ripped" the Garmin GPS software out of this phone and ported it over to the other Android phones yet.

I like my Garmin GPS more then Sprint Nav or the Google Nav but not enough to buy a Garminfone.

If Garmin just offered the software for sale, I would have been all over it. I actually emailed them to ask "when" and was basically told if I wanted it to buy a phone.

Kinda had to laugh. I mean I know they are trying to sell phones but if they HAD an app, they would have got my money. Because they don't, I guess they won't til they do. That phone just didn't impress me enough to make me buy it.

All I can say it they better hope no one rips that GPS software before it's ripped and released. I mean if they can Rip Droid X stuff to work on the other phones they should be able to right?

Devs, hint hint. :cool:

Upvote 0
Now I'm just a newbe to Android, but I have the Garminfone and it's just what I was looking for. I came over from Blackberry and I'm very impressed with the Droid platform. Granted, the fone lacks froyo and at 600mhz, it is only a matter of time before it's out of date, but aren't they all? What sold me was obviously the navigation, but it has the windshield mount and charges when snapped in (which is nice because I have noticed that the battery life is fairly short.) For my job, I needed a good gps and a good phone...got both of these (for free during the father's day special at T-Mobile) and I couldn't be more satisfied. I haven't found any real downsides to the fone yet...maybe the lack of camera flash, but I don't really use the camera anyway.
I know i'm in the minority with the fone, and I don't have any other Droid experience to compare it to, but damn this thing rocks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones