1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Gasbuddy

Last Updated:

1. maxawesome

maxawesome New Member This Topic's Starter

So a friend of mine and I were thinking a great application would be to create a GPS-enabled Gasbuddy.com friendly application.

Based on your GPS determined location, find the cheapest gas within a 5 mile radius of your current location.

Maybe as an extension of Google Maps or utilizing the Google Maps API & GPS somehow.

What do you all think?

Advertisement
  2. Cryptic79

Cryptic79 VIP Member VIP Member

Great idea! Make the distance configurable, though. I travel 45 miles one-way to work. If there is a gas station closer to work that's much cheaper and I have the gas (not hard in a Focus at 29-31 mpg), I'll wait for that.

Actually, finding a way to save routes and plot stations along it would be nice.

3. ram100987

ram100987 Well-Known Member

Exactly what you said! I travel roughly 20 miles each way, and also know several different routes depending on traffic or how I feel that day, so it would be nice to save routes and be able to see the cheapest gas prices along that route.

4. fallen

fallen Member

But for any dev to do this it would have to be a community based process to get the gas prices. Very good idea i would love to see this made.

5. ram100987

ram100987 Well-Known Member

Well this program could use gas buddy or a similiar site for getting the gas info (because a community effort would work best) and then use that to plot the prices on the map. I have elready seen website that plot gas prices out on a map but it doesn't not allow for the input of a route.

6. fallen

fallen Member

I had no idea there was a website that showed gas prices near by, I'll have to check that out. And I agree a community input would be best but what if they could combine them together? Like have it coming in from that website you mentioned and then have the ability for the community to add and edit them? You'd get the best of both worlds!

7. Rob

Rob I'm tellin' mommy on you! Administrator

Great idea for an application. Make it happen!

8. DrDiff

DrDiff Well-Known Member

I agree 10,000%!

The issue is I have no idea on how to make this happen.

9. Frantic Ferret

Frantic Ferret Well-Known Member

I would uninstall Where if you did this. That's about the only thing I use it for.

10. jerryf196

jerryf196 New Member