Gave up my Captivate for BB Torch...

Last Updated:

1. iskortch

iskortch Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

...but now I want my Captivate back! Yes, it had GPS issues (but will be fixed next month per Samsung). Yes, it turned off by itself (but I heard a hard-reset fixes that). Yes, I wasnt a fan of the virtual keyboard (learning curve). Yes, the battery life wasnt great (but as someone said in another post - if you choose a Porche over an Civic, you expect it to be a gas guzzler!)

Even after all that, I did love the Android platform, the graphics, the screen size, the flash browser, etc.

So, am I crazy to exchange my BB Torch for the Captivate?? I still have about 20 days left before my 30-day return window closes.

Advertisement
  2. mongstradamus

mongstradamus Well-Known Member

From what i read bout the bb torch its very under powered compared to captivate or iphone 4 for that matter. There was an reason that there has been drastic price drops for the phone when its only been out for a week ?

3. csreborn

csreborn Well-Known Member

Not going to comment on Captivate, but the BB Torch is terrible.

4. zeezz

zeezz Member

I'm not biased against bberry - i loved the bold that I had for over a year. But honestly, the Torch is slow and laggy... browsing is okay.. screen is too small. Overall it's just not quite up to the level of the current android/iphone devices...

That being said, go back and get the captivate again :)

5. darkkterror

darkkterror Member

Go back to the Captivate.

*Disclaimer: I've never been a fan of Blackberry, so my opinion is likely to be at least a little biased :)

I also laughed to myself a little when I read that one of the new, exciting features of Blackberry OS 6 was sending group SMS messages. How long have other phones been able to do that?

Granted, I also had to laugh to myself when the iPhone didn't get stereo bluetooth or MMS messaging until iOS 3.0...smartphones seem dumb sometimes, don't they?

6. mterrence5

mterrence5 Member

You could send sms text to multiple people you just couldnt set up a group and just click on that and send it. I find that feature annoying in Android phones anyway since you have to select the members of the group.

I would have considered a switch to the torch if it had a better processor. I am not happy with the battery life on this phone and my Blackberry I would get a day and a half without charging. However my bold frequently hung up and would freeze. I understand the torch has more ram than my 9000 but from all accounts the phone is still slow.

7. mikeroosa

mikeroosa New Member

I actually purchased the blackberry torch first, then after 1 hour of owning it when and returned it and got the captivate. There really is no comparison. I do have some issues with the captivate like my battery life and gps, but the torch absolutely sucked.

I let the salesman talk me into it, but it just reminded me how much I hate blackberries. The browser was incredibly slow, the touch keyboard was horrible and the video it took was nowhere near the quality of the captivate.

8. BmanCV60

BmanCV60 Well-Known Member

I've been lurking here since the Captivate was announced and admit to being disappointed by all the problems discovered. My gf purchased the Captivate after losing her 1st gen iPhone (iPhone 4 not available) before we had a chance to talk. She loved the display, speed of the phone, reliable calling and the freedom of Android. Once the phone started shutting itself down, I told her about the issues with the Captivate. She was willing to try an exchange so we went to AT&T, where the Torch was on display.

We both have the 8310, so playing with the Torch was familiar and new. Compared to Android and iPhone, the Torch is indeed slower with older technology but it does everything you'd expect it to right out of the box - and compared to the 8310 it has blazing speed lol! They had 32g iPhone 4's in stock too, but she walked out with the Torch.

My upgrade date is 9/1 so I'm looking at everything out there. The iPhone isn't for me. I'd love an Android phone that WORKED; I'm all for customization but to make improvements to the phone and make it mine, not make it work the way a new phone should out of the box - and this doesn't seem to be isolated to the Captivate. The Evo 4g is my other chice and it has issues too. So while a new and cutting edge toy is exciting, my phone is also a tool I use daily. For that reason the Torch is very much a consideration.

9. iskortch

iskortch Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I agree with all about the Torch. I came from a BB 9000 and loved it. It was glitchy at the start, but the first software update made it perfect.

The Torch is ok. Touch screen lags in comparison to the Captivate. As cool as the slide-out keyboard may sound, its kinda getting on my nerves. And since the screen size is smaller, the virtual keyboard takes up a lot of room on the screen. Those who love BB, I think will love the Torch. Anyone who has come from Android or iPhone are in for a real shock and doubt will like it.

I do have to say, the issues people are having with the Torch (since its new like the Captivate) I did not have. No "tinny" sound when I made calls, No conflicts with my email server or contacts sync, no freezing, etc. It did what it was suppose to.

The funny part of all this, is when I knew I was due for an upgrade, I google'ed "new BB" and the whole "slider" secret was bouncing around. I was psych'ed! I was like, "I'm getting that, hands down!" No one knew of any release dates - not the AT&T stores and the rep at my local store even said the RIM rep they deal with had no idea. So when it was time for me to upgrade, I saw the Captivate and was impressed. I figured, what-the-hell, I'll give Android a try. To my surpise, I was impressed! BUT... 2 weeks later, the Torch was released. So, being the "Crackberry" I was from my Bold 9000, I exchanged the Captivate for the Torch. That very night, I was missing my Captivate. For the past week, I have been going back-and-forth whether to keep it or switch back.

So as of today, I ordered the Captivate again!

P.S. Anyone having battery issues (I did too), been reading a lot of posts about it - seems like if you let the phone die, it will truley learn its boundaries and will give you a better life. Also, turn off live wallpaper, background sync'ing and dim the screen. I did all that and my battery signifigantly improved.

10. Infinite-t

Infinite-t Well-Known Member

Well, I am in the line of thinking that if you have a phone capable of doing all kinds of awesome things, but in order to get a decent battery usage out of it you have to turn it all of??? what is the point of having it in the first place?

My first few days, I burned my batt. to 0% like three days in a row, then charge it 100% overnight.

Now I leave my wifi on all day, and blue tooth too ( I hate trying to remeber to turn it on/off every time i get in/out of my car). I have 2 widgets that update every 30 min and it checks for new email every 30 min. I use mine moderatly throughout the day and consistantly get 16-20 hours out of it before it gets critical. I can live with that, i can charge it every night, and I dont have to compromise by turning off/on/off the things i use most all the time.

11. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

I used to be a big blackberry fan but i must say the torch sucks. its made to be reliable and thats about it, very slow, not nearly as much support as android, small screen and low pixel resolution, i think it has a 600 mhz processor, non hd recording, tiny amount of memory space compared to captivate, and the killer it costs 200$. no thank you RIM

12. mesasone

mesasone Well-Known Member

Like many here, I came from the Bold 9000. I have to say that for a flagship product, the Torch is really underwhelming. For the enterprise user, RIM has nothing to fear from the Captivate or Android phones in general (at this point), but as a phone for the rest of us - the Captivate is a great choice.

Yeah, the battery life isn't great but it's definitely serviceable. I unplug my phone approximately 7:00 AM and when I get home at 4:30 PM I still have around 65% of my battery remaining. Initially I was ending at nearly 40% which I was fairly unhappy about. This is after 45 minutes to an hour of web surfing/youtube/etc, and five to six hours of music during the day at work. My Bold (9000) would last most of the week - at least 4 days - on charge as long as I didn't listen to any music. With music I ended my work day below 30%. I doubt the Captivate could make 4 days - even 3 would probably be pushing it, but as long as I can make it through a second day (w/o media playback) if I forget to charge the phone I'm fairly satisfied.

And Swype has pretty much convinced me that physical keyboards, though nice to have, are mostly obsolete.

13. myrv

myrv Well-Known Member

Now I understand more about why people are complaining about the battery life. I have never had a smartphone that lasted more than a day and a half on a charge and that was if I used it sparingly. For me, charging the phone every night right before going to bed has been the norm for so long I honestly didn't think about people not having to do that prior to the captivate.

14. Terrigno

Terrigno Well-Known Member

Ive been a serious BlackBerry Addict for about 3 years honestly. I had almost every BlackBerry released. I still currently have the 9700 Bold. So I went and got the Aria. Loved it, Feel in love with Android right away. Then a week later when the Captivate came out, I went and exchanged. I dont regret any of the decisions I made. For me to go back to the BlackBerry from the Captivate, is like me going back to rock a Dell Pentinum 2 computer with a 20GB HD. lol No No

15. mterrence5

mterrence5 Member

I would be charging my phone every night regardless of what I had but I would like my battery to get 24 full hours with normal usage. (40 texts, 40 emails, 1 or 2 calls, 25minutes on the web/facebook). I can't get past 17.

Took it off the charger at about 10am Was at a friends house didnt have a charger and we went out to a concert last saturday. I was phoneless by 10pm

16. c2k

c2k Well-Known Member

You have to manage the battery, the screen on this thing is a monster, it takes a lot of power to run something that beautiful. BlackBerrys are good business phones, not many issues, but not many features, either. I use my phone like crazy, GPS, internet, music, music streaming, facebook, email, the screen must be on for at least 1/3 of the time I have it with me. The battery life isnt amazing, but as much as I throw at this phone, I cant expect it to last a day and a half.

Also commenting on the Torch's processor, Mhz isnt the only thing that affects speed. The architecture itself is the main difference. And the architecture on the Captivates processor stands up to and murders pretty much every other 1 Ghz mobile processor, let alone the Torchs 600mhz.

17. NorCal Einstein

NorCal Einstein Well-Known Member

I had to swing by the ATT store today to do a return, and since my local store is ridiculous, I had to wait for 40 minutes before I could do my return. In that time, I saw the Torch on display (no body was paying any attention to this phone BTW) and decided to quickly try it out. I am currently a Blackberry Bold 9700 user with Captivate coming on Tuesday. Even with my BB experience and general liking, the Torch seems like a very awkward phone for me. I'm just not fond of slider phone designs to begin with, but it seems like Blackberry's attempt to merge business with pleasure (they advertise the same concept) to be very strange. I could keep laying out my opinions on the Torch, but I think I understand you when you say you might be thinking about going back to a Captivate. I just don't think the Torch is a great product, and I don't think industry opinion is right when they think current BB users will evolve into the Torch.

18. ratchetjaw

ratchetjaw Well-Known Member

I have both the Torch and picked up the Captivate today. I personally am I
    Liking the Torch more. It's just the tops for messaging. I even benched my Droid X for it. I will keep both and switch the sim out as the mood hits. It really depends on how you use your phone I think. The Torch is best for messaging and a phone in general. Media the Captivate is better but the Droid X is even better than the Captivate at media. Just my .02:D