Gawd Help the New Girl

Last Updated:

1. cglick

cglick New Member This Topic's Starter

I have had my fascinate for about 3 weeks. I am new to smartphones and kinda a dork. Please point me to a thread that probably already answered these questions, sorry for needing this stuff in "english"

What the hell is rooting? Is that what I need to get the installed apps off my phone or to hide them. ie. blockbuster

I turn my sync off to save battery, but when I turn it on to check twitter/gmail, it never goes off. I unclick the sync button in the drop down and I even go in to the accounts & sync from settings and turn it off. The only way for it to go away is to turn my phone off. why?

I just want gmail but I have the installed email too. I just want gmail. How do I get rid of their email? When I get home, I don't need my email to keep checking and it won't go off.

When I have sync on it is so delayed. My mail is two hours behind. What gives with that.

Thanks for your patience. I know your eyes are rolling because these are probably pretty basic questions. I appreciate any help.

Advertisement
  2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Welcome to the Android Forums!

Here's a tutorial on rooting an Android phone...
    How to Root - Android Forums

To save battery do simple things like removing any widgets that may be installed on any of your phones home screens. Also adjust the battery profile to a more restrictive setting, and dim your screen brightness. It sounds like you are running into something of a catch-22. To save battery you are manually disabling sync. You then enable sync to start up an app that does an awful lot of syncing. You then try to disable sync while that app is possibly still running in the background. It's likely that you can't turn off sync again because that app is forcing it to stay on.

For email maybe consider going into the email app in your app drawer and deleting any installed email profiles but the one you want.