(GB and ICS) Run your AT&T Galaxy Note on T-Mobile 3G/4G

1. Talderon

Talderon Well-Known Member

Original here: xda-developers - View Single Post - At&t Note / T-mobile 3g/4g fix Found- pledged donors step up[$435 Paid, $255 Left]

ICS Radios are here!! (Same steps as below): xda-developers - View Single Post - [MODEM]T-Mobile ICS Modems

I have been following this thread (and need to get my Donation in on PayDay) and did this one a couple friends phoned and it works like a champ on T-Mobile now, no more Edge, just 3G/3G goodness!! :D

Advertisement
    :
    vinnie01 likes this.
  2. ndfan4u

ndfan4u Well-Known Member

Thanks
  3. ndfan4u

ndfan4u Well-Known Member

Hey all, this really worked. I was only getting Edge on my AT&T unlocked/rooted Galaxy Note using TMobile sim, but now I am getting 4G everywhere in the Santa Clarita CA area. Even in my home! And I was able to do this all on my own after watching countless You Tube videos on rooting to unlocking to flashing. If I could do it, so can you. I am so happy. Thanks to everybody for posting all this how-to information. :D :D :D :D :D
  4. Talderon

VERY glad it helped! :D

I have friends on T-Mobile saving up for their Note as well, so we'll get even more users over on T-Mobile.

FYI, on a side note, they already have compatible radios for ICS when it drops officially, or if you want to try out the leaked version.

Have fun!
  5. dtwalkerfl

dtwalkerfl Member

Quote:

- SOLUTION 1 - THE NICE AND EASY WAY

1. Using CMW, flash your modem of choice from the following:

- Telus Kj3 - Telus_SGH-T989D_Kj3_radio_ATTNOTE.zip
    - T-mobile SGH-T989 KID - Tmo_SGH-T989_KID_radio_ATTNOTE.zip
    - T-mobile SGH-T989 VKL1 - Tmo_SGH-T989_VKL1_radio_ATTNOTE.zip

2. Reboot your phone.

3. That's it. You should be ready to roll and can ignore all the technical stuff below. That is just there so people can build on the work.

4. To get back to AT&T you can flash this file. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10098708/Att_ucla1_%20radio.zip

Alright, I am a newbie to all this but love my new unlocked AT&T Note on T-Mobile, but want to do this.

My problem is: WTF is CMW and how do you do the above. Flame suit is on and I admit I am not teckky savvy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  6. Talderon

CWM is Clockwork Mod Recovery.

Here is a quick How-To on getting it installed and done:

Rooting and Clockworkmod

1. Install USB Driver for Windows (http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...SGH-I717ZBAATT).

2. In order to Odin you have to put your phone into download mode. To do so, turn off your phone, hold VOLUME DOWN and POWER buttons, once you see the prompt
    to put your phone into download mode press VOLUME UP.

3. To get Odin to work, start Odin and load the .tar, etc BEFORE plugging in your phone. Then put your phone into download mode and connect the USB. Once you plug in your phone the program will show device in COM port.

4. Root your phone. Two methods.
    a. Flash counter raising: see here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1504218)
    b. Flash counter intact: see here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1518962)

5. Clockworkmod recovery
    a. Non-touch version: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1526431
    b. Touch version: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1584576

6. To put your phone into recovery.
    a. Turn off your phone, hold both VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN and POWER. After you feel the first vibration, let go of the POWER button but keep holding the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN. You should go into CWM assume it
    vinnie01 likes this.
  7. dtwalkerfl

dtwalkerfl Member

Uhhhh, thanks for the reply. Maybe some day when I run across somebody that understands all that I'll let him do it.
  8. Talderon

I'll try to break it down for you some more, but will have to wait till I get home.
  9. nateap87

nateap87 Well-Known Member

can someone please tell me WHY this works? i've been selling phones for tmobile for almost a year now and have decided to learn the frequency aspect of it all and the fact that this phone that supposedly doesn't have the proper 1700/2100 frequency is working on tmobile's 3g/4g is just confusing me now :/
  10. eastbayarb

eastbayarb Active Member

Is it possible to upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich after running this? Also, I am in the San Francisco Bay Area of California, and I tried all 3 modems, yet I can't seem to get more than 800kbps download speed (My wife's Samsung Galaxy S2 that is on T-Mobile, and my LG Thrill (is originally an ATT phone but running much faster than this).

Any ideas?
  11. antisouless

antisouless Member

12. huffman416

huffman416 New Member

Could this same technique theoretically work on other AT&T devices such as the motorola atrix 4G? I thought there were hardware limitations but this thread seems to suggest that if you flash the right radio on a devices, with some software tinkering, it could work. Am I understanding the process correctly??

Thanks,

-Brendan
  13. Talderon

NO NO NO! Please do NOT try this on other devices!

The ONLY reason this works on a few of the Samsung devices is that they have the radio hardware to support these network frequencies. Reasons are plentiful, but for some phones, they were planned for after the mergers (which didn't happen) or they have a T-Mobile counterpart and Samsung just used the same hardware to support all bands.

Trying this on another device that does not meet the right requirements will render it a paperweight, that is, IF you were able to successfully flash a radio.
  14. dtwalkerfl

dtwalkerfl Member

I have been loving my Note on T-Mobile but need 4G. How can I get this done to mine? I don't have the techy savvy on phones to do it myself.
  15. huffman416

huffman416 New Member

I understand it would not be wise to use these specific radios for my device I was just wondering if a similar project could be attempted for another device. Thanks for the information though!
  16. Talderon

No problem.

I would have to say that for 99% of the phones out there, this would not be possible on. We just had some luck with a few of the Galaxy phones. Not sure how common this is as I don't roam forums for phones and I don't have or have much of an interest in.
  17. hackler007

hackler007 Well-Known Member

Run your AT&T Galaxy Note on T-Mobile 3G/4G. Link is giving me= Internal Server Error. do you have another link?