GCD to MP3 conversion ??

Last Updated:

1. Cathy9887

Cathy9887 Member This Topic's Starter

I did a search & can't find anything on this... my question is, does anyone know how to convert .GCD ringtone files to .mp3 (or any other EVO-able ringtone file type)??

Has anyone else run into this trouble?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

did you google it?

3. *king*

*king* Active Member

I used to run into this issue on my touch pro 2 when downloading from myxer. What I had to do was set my browser to mobile mode and it would download mp3 files. I have not tried this on my evo because I download songs from tunee and just cut them down myself.

4. firesquirt

firesquirt Member

.GCD is just a text file that points to a download directory, it is not nor is there is any media in it.

The original ringtone is somewhere else.

you can make your own ringtones with Audacity, it is free and will convert Itunes music as well.

5. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Ummm, no. One of my older phones only uses GCD files for ringtones. The ringtone is in fact in the gcd file. Its a really old file type, which is why not many software programs can use it.

6. Drew95376

Drew95376 Well-Known Member

Just had to do this for myself today!

The .gcd file will have downloaded into /download directory on your sd card.

1. Use a program like Astro File Manager to convert file to a .txt format (long-press then rename).

2. Open file using Quickoffice.

3. Click the link highlighted in file. (This should open web browser and download file automatically).

4. Go back into Astro and create a new directory (on sd card) in /media/audio

5. Name the new folder "ringtones". ( ie: /media/audio/ringtones)

6. Go Back to download folder (/download)

7. Long-press newly downloaded .mp3 file and select edit, then move.

8. Paste file into newly created folder at /media/audio/ringtones

Your new ringtone should now be listed under menu/settings/sound/phone ringtone.

Hope this helps!

7. ThatNewAndroidGuy

ThatNewAndroidGuy Well-Known Member

Sometimes this works for different file types, but not always. Have you tried just changing the extension to .mp3?

8. pwnst*r

pwnst*r Well-Known Member

.gcd is an odd file type.

According to this it's exactly what firesquirt was saying. Perhaps instead of pointing to a download directory, it points to a media file on the phone itself?

Open up the file with notepad and paste the content here.

9. Drew95376

Drew95376 Well-Known Member

This is why this forum drive me crazy! :eek:

sitlet, ThatNewAndroidGuy & pwnst*r,

If you know nothing on the subject matter, why must you feel obligated to post bad advise?

sitlet = "did you google it?" helps know one! "Cathy9887" had first stated "I did a search & can't find anything on this". Then you rudely accused "firesquirt" of being incorrect when in fact he was 100% right. On your "old phone" the .gcd file most likely pointed at a different directory were the music content was stored (ie: sd card). Feel free to take one of those old files, convert it to a .txt file, open it and read the information contained within. Then send "firesquirt" an appology for your bad manners!

ThatNewAndroidGuy = changing a text file to a .mp3 extension will never make it play music!

pwnst*r = why would "Cathy9887" be downloading a ringtone that was already on her phone?

All three of you have wasted space on the internet with your useless post's as "firesquirt" had already explained in detail as to what a .gcd file is and I gave detailed direction on how to make (convert) it to work!

Please read entire thread and think before you post your uneducated guesses. You are not only cluttering up this forum you may someday damage an AF user's device with your miss-advice!

Vent Over, thank you....

10. pwnst*r

pwnst*r Well-Known Member

Haha, you PM'd me to read your b.s? Get a life, kid.

And please show me where in my post I gave "bad advice". By posting the content of the .gcd file?

Are you feeling okay? Fever or flu? You're not thinking straight.

11. rdburbridge

rdburbridge New Member

Converting .GCD to .MP3 -

Here's your answer. It's simpler than you think. Yes the .GCD file is a text file. and here's what you do.

1. Open the text file with the standard issue Windows Notepad program. The .GCD file is what we COMPUTER VETERANS call a plain ASCII flat file. Of the Emergency 51 file I downloaded, the GCD text file shows 6 lines of information. Look at the 5th line called Content-URL: In my case it shows this url:

Content-URL: http://ui2.myxer.sprintpcs.com/down...5-84e1-4c5328fe3fde/51EmergencyTone.mp3?gcd=1

2. Let's do a little editing. Delete from that line all info at the beginning that reads: Content-URL: leaving the following:

http://ui2.myxer.sprintpcs.com/down...5-84e1-4c5328fe3fde/51EmergencyTone.mp3?gcd=1

3. Now let's delete at the end, then ?gcd=1, leaving:

http://ui2.myxer.sprintpcs.com/download/a826c81c-cf66-4485-84e1-4c5328fe3fde/51EmergencyTone.mp3

4. Copy and paste that information into your browser. I am using Firefox, so if you are using something different you will have to look around for the following to continue. If you are using Firefox, simply Copy/Paste and hit the enter key. It will download the .mp3 file into the browser and in my case, automatically loads it up with the Quicktime Player. Who cares.

5. Once your file is done playing, click on the Firefox Tools button to get the dropdown list and the click PageInfo. You will be presented with 5 tabs on the window that opens. Click the 2nd one called Media.

6. Highlight the line that is your MP3 file and click on the SaveAs button on the lower right side.

7. Your download window will popup and magically your downloaded .GCD file is actually an MP3 file in your browsers Cache. Remember the Folder you are saving to, and click Save.

8. Navigate to that folder using the Explorer program (Windows Key + E) and do what ever your hearts desire is to your now .mp3 file.

9. I really hope this helps, and feel free to try it using the file I've posted here.

10. Just a suggestion to the rest of you, if you really don't have an answer, why do you bother even posting. Like the comment that says "Did you try to Google it?" Dumb question, that is probably exactly how this person got to this forum to begin with, just like me.

Richard Burbridge
    USMC, Ret. Combat Veteran - Vietnam