• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gemini Calendar - my vision of calendar software

I don't know whether it's just me, but I'm unable to change the selected-calendar when editing an appointment.

You are not allowed to change calendar for existing event. This is not a bug, this is a feature (or, at least, this is how it was designed).
Maybe it should be made more obvious, I will think of writing something like "fixed" or try to dim the name of the calendar, so there will be no doubts that it cannot be changed.
I understand, that moving/copying event from one calendar to another could be useful, but it needs to be thought over before implementation, since it can lead to the unexpected results.
But, all in all, everything is possible :)

Upvote 0
You are not allowed to change calendar for existing event. This is not a bug, this is a feature (or, at least, this is how it was designed).
Maybe it should be made more obvious, I will think of writing something like "fixed" or try to dim the name of the calendar, so there will be no doubts that it cannot be changed.
I understand, that moving/copying event from one calendar to another could be useful, but it needs to be thought over before implementation, since it can lead to the unexpected results.
But, all in all, everything is possible :)

OK, please consider this a feature-request, then :)

Upvote 0
Hi Powell.

I just got my first android phone a couple of days ago, a nice htc desire, and as such am searching for a "good" calendar app. I have to say yours hold alot of promize, although there are some things that still annoy me a little. But first some general feedback.

The way of setting time for an appointment I think is quite perfect, not really used to android calendars in general but I can just set a start-time very easily, and ending times are not usually important to me so 1hour duration is a perfect default.

I think it's great that your calendar shows weeknumbers btw, this is one of the main things that annoys me alot with googles calendar, good job!

As for some general criticism, even though the texture of your calendar is commendably pretty, I would much enjoy a more sleek look of the calendar, I think this would make it more functional and easily give an overview of the month in question.

Furthermore I think you should add more ways of displaying events on specific days, referring to the little circle above the date which has an event on it. I think a great way to do it would have an entirely different background color of that entire datenumber/day, the little dot is just pathetic small and easily missed (not just talking about your implementation, I think the same of the google calendar apps version).

Lastly I found the small arrows to scroll months with a bit too "insensitive", ofcourse I am new to full touchscreen phones too :) But I don't know if you could perhaps make their touch area bigger?

A very impressive application with great promise! I love that you can pick which calendar to synch with at start, speaking of which I think there is lacking a way to change which one is currently the synched one?

Keep up the good work, I'm gonna keep this as my standard app for now and try it out some more.

// Andreas

Upvote 0
FINALLY! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was just about to download a few of the Pure Calendar items when I saw a post about Gemini Calendar. Whew!

I just downloaded the app and it is excellent.

I noticed the same problem as Andreas - the scrolling arrows to change the month are not very responsive. It took me awhile to get it to respond.

I am earerly awaiting a widget and some skins.

Thank you for being so responsive. That really makes a difference for me when choosing an application.

Upvote 0
I will be an Android user in three months (when my new every 2 with VZW is up) and get the Incredible. This app will be one of the first I download (as long as it is compatible with the Incredible). I LOVE the look, that is a skin very much like what I would make. I do hope it has a widget by the time I get to it, but that would NOT stop me from downloading and using this app...I'm keeping my eye on this thread!!!

Upvote 0
I just thought of an idea regarding the month-browsing functionality that I would much prefer over its current system.

Instead of having to use buttons, I think it would be absolutely great if one could just swipe over the month-overview left or right to browse to the next or previous month. This would really increase the functionality and userexperience imo, really hope you can implement this.

EDIT: Alternatively if you made the area with the side-buttons and month-name swipable, that would work great too :)

// Andreas

Upvote 0
Version 0.9.17 released.
There are three new features:

• recurrent events can now be set according to the days of week (separately selectable Mo, Tu, We etc.)
  • new event can be added with relation to the call log of your phone - choose Add From Log from menu, you will see call log (history), then you can add event which will have data from the call log,
  • new event can be added with relation to the phone book of your phone - choose Add From Book from menu, then select one of your contact,
Besides, I have polished view on the high resolution screen (that is for you, Droid owners ;))

Reactions: (G)
Upvote 0
The best app for Android!!!
Thank you very much. As I've seen in the last month the updates come very quickly and we are very satisfied with the product. Here are some ideas:
- gestures:
- think about changing the month with a gesture on the screen (left-right)
- hiding the month view by a swipe down (similar to the status bar) to leave a day view (when multiple events)
- for a widget consider something like SmoothCalendar 4x1 form, very usefull on the home screen, and eventually a 4x2 for a week view
- If you plan to close the beta and make it a paid version PLEASE find a way for outsiders, like me, to be able to pay for it. I suggest something from the inside the app, alongside with the market.
- Also leave free a lite/demo version, so that new Android users, outside US, can find about it

Once again thank you! Really the best app on my HTC Desire.

Upvote 0
What happens after May 15th? Will there be a newer beta version, a full free version, or will this turn into a commercial app?

The reason I'm asking is, it certainly seems qualified to cost money ... but so many of us (in particular, me) are not able to purchase apps. :(

I too wonder what will happen after 05/15/2010. I really like this app and would be willing to pay up to a couple of bucks for it (provided some important features mentioned in this thread are added and some issues corrected).

Kratos

Upvote 0
An interesting thing about alarms... Gemini has an "on time" reminder, as well as 5 minutes before, 10 minutes before etc. But I noticed that if I set an "on time" reminder in Gemini, it results in a "1 minute before" reminder in the stock calendar (which isn't usually available).

So if I set a reminder for "5 minutes before" and "on time," I get an alarm 5 minutes before and 1 minute before. Not much that can be done about that, I'm guessing.

Upvote 0
On-time reminder is in fact a reminder which is set 1 minute before the event. Unfortunately, reminders can be set only in a minute resolution, there is also a system scheduler, which makes the alarms appear even less accurate (usually 15 - 20 seconds after the time that was set).
Gemini Calendar used to have "0 minutes before the event" reminder, but such reminders caused double alarms on some devices with Android >=1.6 on board.

If it comes to the 15th May and "deadline" which appears in the About dialog. It is not my intention to tease you, my friends. Gemini Calendar is still in the phase of beta, it is updated quite often, and expiration date is suppose to remind everyone, that there could be another version on the market, with new features and fixes. BTW: next version, which is almost finished and is being tested now, will have this expiration date postponed.

Some day, in the future, Gemini Calendar will probably turn into a paid/commercial application. However, this will happen not before the most important features are finished. I can assure you, that when this day comes, cost will be reasonable, we will also consider releasing a free, simplified version of the calendar.
Moreover, we appreciate the effort of being beta tester, so users, who actively send us opinions, bug reports and other valuable information about Gemini Calendar, can count on a free license, as a reward.
I understand very well, that not everyone can purchase application in the Android Market. Personally, I live in the country that was not lucky enough to have this Market feature enabled.

Upvote 0
Thank You Thank You Thank You!! The only thing I hated about My Android was the Calendar. I am a Hairstylist and have clients who have repeating appointments every 5, 6, 8 weeks, etc. Before your app I couldn't schedule their appointments easily. I just installed your calendar, and so far it looks like it will make me very happy! I will keep you posted. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Just want to add to the 'Thanks' to Powell for continued development of this much-needed app. I've just installed it on my HTC Desire and it looks like just what I need at first glance. I will try to add any constructive comments here as I use it more. I'm an ex-Datebk 6 user as well, so have come to expect a lot from a Calendar app! I already like parts of this though - nice one - keep up the good work!

Upvote 0
Here comes a new version (0.9.19)

• Go to date dialog is now available for the Month and Day View, you can easily switch the current date to another with the same input method as in Add New Event View.
  • Three different shortcuts for the launcher has been added. Long press on the desktop, then enter Shortcuts menu. Select one of the shortcuts:
    • Add normal event,
    • Add event from log,
    • Add event from book,
  • Events in Month View and Day View are now sorted by start time, regardless of the calendar they belong to,
  • Font sizes in Day View can be changed (see preferences),
  • Read only calendars are detected and removed from the list of calendars when adding new event,

Reactions: jae_63 and Kr0nos
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones