General email issuesGeneral

Last Updated:

1. one1speed

one1speed Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Looking for a little help with email.

I have a feeling I'm doing something wrong and need a little guidance. I currently have Gmail and Yahoo! accounts (more concerned about my Gmail). On my iPod Touch, I easily got them both into the iMail program, very quick and easy to do, seamless usage, etc.

On the Eris, this is much more challenging for some reason. I figured the HTC mail would be about the same, but doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm currently using the Gmail app for Gmail, which works, sort of. Not the most user friendly app. I can't seem to find a setting to check the email at intervals, have to hit 'menu' and refresh to bring in new mails. As it turns out, I have to do the same to get the app to connect and send mail as well. Seems like a lot of unnecessary steps.

In addition, I can't seem to view my 'tasks.' However, I can do this through the mobile Gmail website, which almost seems more user friendly and easier to navigate.

The other deal is the contacts, but I think I have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get this to work as well. My Gmail contacts won't sync as I have too many phone contacts. At least this is what I am able to assess from reading through the web. If anyone has any thoughts on this.

Then there's the whole Yahoo! email thing. I have seen a couple posts I may try once I get the Gmail working correctly. Seems the Gmail should be seamless, must be missing something here.

Thanks for any help getting this working. Email has been around for some time, hard to believe this takes any effort.

Advertisement
  2. superchaos

superchaos Well-Known Member

Your setting for the programs will be available once you are in the program. Open up gmail and tap menu > Settings Scroll down to notifications and make sure the box is checked. I have no idea how often this thing checks it. The default ringtone is auto selected and a sound will play whenever an email arrives. Tap select ringtone and choose silent if you just want the trackball to light up and the notification bar notice.

I was not able to get Yahoo (AT&T) to work on the Eris so I use one of my hotmail accounts which works without problems.

3. one1speed

Thanks much, I'll give it a shot. Appreciate the time.

4. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

Try (outside of the Gmail App)
    Settings... Data Synchronization ... Google.

I have every one of them selected (Background data, Auto-Sync, Gmail, Calendar, Contacts), although to be honest I don't use a Gmail/Google calendar. (In your case, perhaps not the contacts setting, as you indicated you were aware of some problem there.)

and also (obviously) you should have Mobile network turned on (Settings ... Wireless controls ... Mobile network)

Also, within the Gmail app:

Settings... Labels

Inbox and Sent should have some number of days (or "all") selected for sync. (It doesn't seem you can turn off Inbox sync, but only limit it to 4 days).

Hope this helps - by default your Gmail app should receive notification of new e-mail, and syncronize the Inbox automagically when that happens.

If none of this helps, perhaps try to uninstall Gmail and re-install?

eu1

5. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

BTW,

I just remembered that I have a yahoo e-mail account. I set up forwarding in that account (forwarded it to my Gmail account).

If you wanted to, you could set up a Gmail "filter" to label it automatically, and then (if desired) it could be viewed (and synced) under a separate label in the Eris gmail app.

Just a thought, anyway.

eu1

6. one1speed

Thanks much. Great info. Tried the sync, we'll see how it goes. Do know I do have web access turned on.

Thx!