• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

General First Impressions

There are a few downfalls. But I have yet to find a phone that is absolutely perfect. But as a whole, I think this has a slight edge over my 4S. Bigger screen is fantastic, NFC is cool (bought some ice cream at Braums yesterday, who knew they would take it!), widgets are nice, free Google music is fantastic, instant upload to G+ is very useful, love power toggles, wifi hotspot without rooting or even having to download a third party app, and as a whole it can just do so much more. Although battery life could definitely see improvement. And when playing games, the Nexus 4 gets noticeable hot.

I feel like the iPhone is trying to be too much like a cell phone. And that may sound all fine and dandy, but its not a cell phone, it is a smartphone. But the N4 is really a great mix of a small laptop and a cell phone in terms of usability. And by this I mean being able to set a default browser, which any laptop can do, sending more than one attachment in an email, and when uploading an attachment being able to choose if I want to attach from my gallery, file system, or Dropbox is fantastic. All of this stuff I can do on my rMBP. And Apple really limited the functionality of the iPhone in my view. But the Nexus 4 brings back that functionality in a usable manner.

Upvote 0
I just received the (seond batch) N4 late yesterday and was familiarizing with it last night, noticing what I thought were some manufacturing defects, 2 small dings on the face edge just above the power button, and the same thing in the same relative position (top right) on the back.

Today in full light I see that there is a protective sheeting already installed on the both the front and back, as I was getting ready to install the new XOskin "full body casing" I had purchased.

Apparently the "dings" were two small notches that enable one to get a grip on the sheets for removal. One can see tiny air pockets under the sheets around the speaker, cameras and other edges.

I wasn't expecting it, so I think I'll just save the new skins for replacement when these get worn.

Did any of you with the first batch have that too?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones