General Help for a new Guy - email accounts, contact management and more

Last Updated:

1. zinn

zinn New Member This Topic's Starter

First, I'm sure some or all of these have been discussed in some way somewhere, but i've been searching and just haven't found any clear answers (probably because i'm a bad "searcher" not because they are not there)...

I COULD REALLY USE SOME UP TO DATE INFO ON THE FOLLOWING TOPICS:

I just bought a Behold II and have been thoroughly frustrated by the following, any help is greatly appreciated:

1. Gmail - Like a lot of people I have several gmail accounts and use all of them very regularly for various reasons (business, personal, little league, etc.) With my blackberry and gmail app i was able to easily log in and out of all these accounts and stay on top of everything. Now I appear to be stuck with the first account i logged into/setup with no means of logging out and getting into another. I understand (now) that much of the OS revolves around syncing everything for productivity, but this is a REALLY BIG problem for me. If I can only use one email account this phone is definitely going back immediately. Is there a means of doing this?

1a. I really don't like the idea of anybody being able to pick up my phone and be able to immediately go through my email. If i can't log out how can i at least protect the email from access by others without having to set a password or sequence EVERY time i pick up and use the phone?

2. Without asking me, after logging into the afore mentioned gmail account the phone took all the contact information from that account and loaded it into CONTACTS. Because it's an account that i use for general use there was a lot of spam in there and various other email addresses that i don't care about and it grabbed them ALL - EVERYTHING. So now i have thousands of contacts that are just email addresses for every thing and everybody that i've ever communicated with over that email account. How can i get rid of all of these and make sure this doesn't happen again.

3. I had all my contancts on my blackberry stored on my SIM card, which is where i'd like them to stay, but it appears that contacts stored to SIM can only have one phone number attached to them so i can't add additional information like additional phone numbers, email addresses, notes, bday information, etc. Is this correct? do i have to copy all of these to the phone memory in order to use these contacts properly and take advantage of all the features?

Again, i'm very sorry if i'm rehashing old wounds here, i'm just so thoroughly frustrated and since i run my business from this phone it's hurting me tremendously right now. If i need to return this and go back to blackberry i need to do it soon so i can get back to being productive.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

- Zinn

Advertisement
  2. yatimameiji

yatimameiji Well-Known Member

Hmmmm ok its going to go like this:

1) Sorta. Its the nature of Android to use one and only one google account to sync email/contacts/calendar with. I had the similar issue with my main gmail account having an address book full of hundreds of emails and such. I created another gmail account for use as the account for the phone to sync too. This makes the gmail app use that email. There is however a generic email app on the phone that supports multiple accounts. There you can setup your other gmail accounts. You'll have to make sure you have pop/imap setup on your other accounts. As for calendars, you can share calendars between accounts.
    1a) If you are using a smartphone that has access to everything and you are not locking it down. WTF! Either lock it down or dont use the phone at all. Sorry you will not get any comfort from me and I doubt anyone else if you dont protect your phone. Just lock the phone and be done with it.

The phone has various ways to lock it down. What I have setup is 1)Boot lock: requires a pin number when the phone turns on to gain access. 2) Screen lock: I have to swipe a pattern to unlock the screen. 3) Remote lock/wipe app: I have WaveSecure installed which will lock the phone remotely, remote wipe, backup some data, lock phone if sim card is changed, and remote locate the phone. There is also the sim lock code you can setup, but if you forget it, you have to get a new sim card(btw all phones support the sim lock).

2) What I said in (1). I setup the new gmail account and put only what contacts I wanted to sync there. Just note any emails sent with that account will show up in the contacts list. No way to get around that.

3) That is the nature of the sim card, and in fact its always been like that. You have to have contacts saved to the phone memory to support those features. Though if all your contacts like that are on your blackberry, I think what you could do is with a PC, sync contacts to the pc with whatever software it uses. Then export your contacts in csv format. There you can login to the gmail account and upload that into the contacts.

3. chadmd23

chadmd23 Well-Known Member

To add 2 points to yati's excellent answers:

I use K-9 email (free in the market) to support multiple email accounts including IMAP IDLE gmail accounts. And OS 2.1 supports multiple gmail accounts, so eventually it will be native to the google apps.

You can turn off the sync feature for email, contacts and calendar separately in Settings > Data Synchronization.

4. zinn

Thanks for the quick and thorough response.

To be sure I understand; if i set up all my email (including my multiple gmail accounts) as POP emails with the standard email app instead of gmail then i can use multiples (but they won't sync with anything they'll just be access only, correct?), but if i don't have at least one gmail account synced then i'm basically rendering the inherrent operating system useless, correct?

There is no way to lock or secure just the gmail app, i need to secure the entire phone, correct? the reason this is necessary is because i often send my phone with my kids when they are at baseball, basketball, hockey practice, etc or otherwise not with me and need be able to reach us in an emergency. So if i give them the "code" to get into the phone then they can read my email. there is plenty in there that i don't want them to see. No way of doing this though, eh? (other than doing what you did with a "dummy" gmail account used just for syncing - if i understood you correctly).

why in the world is there no way to stop EVERY communication via gmail from becomign a contact? Can i force it to only use "my contacts" instead of EVERY contact?

Now that i've made these mistakes how to i go about starting over. Reset to factory?

It sure seems like google overlooked some really basic needs here. I'm trying to be patient because every new OS takes time to get used to, but these seem like some really fundamental flaws?

5. chadmd23

chadmd23 Well-Known Member

just an FYI, our OS is 2 versions behind the latest OS. Google is pretty good at addressing issues, it just takes time for the manufacturers to implement the new OS. I believe groups are part of the new OS, which would fix your contacts problem.

Might I suggest using web clients for email, this way nothing is stored on the phone.

6. yatimameiji

Using the basic email app, yea only access to the email, nothing else of that account.

And no, you cant lock any specific app.And the dummy account wouldn't get around that since they could still open up the generic email app.

As for the every email going into contacts, well thats just how gmail behaves. And by default the address book opens to all contacts, though from the menu you can access any groups you've created.

And to clear out the phone, yes you have to do a factory reset.

I dont think they are fundamental flaws, just they didnt think of people who use several emails, let alone, several gmail accounts like that.

7. zinn

i get it. Thanks so much for your help. Looks like i need to set aside a few hours and just hammer through this thing until i really understand how to use it properly. thankfully i haven't done too much customization so a reset isn't going to hurt too much.

Since it's syncing the contacts with Gmail, can i go into that gmail account and make all the necessary modifications to my contact list there and have it update the phone. would seem to make sense since that's where it's getting them from in the first place?

is there an online manual for this phone someplace with some detailed information instead of the cursory junk they put in the printed version? For as important as gmail is to the function of this phone they sure do gloss over it in the manual.

8. yatimameiji

Oh yes you can setup contacts online then sync and there you go, its what I did.

Also you dont have to setup a gmail account for the phone, it just means you cant use gmail app, calander app, or the market place. Thats why there is still the generic email app.