General Hero Questions

Last Updated:

1. ToxicToastKatz

ToxicToastKatz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, I did a bit of searching on here, and definitely did my due dillegence researching online, however, I was unable to get confirmation on a few points regarding the Hero. I'm hoping someone here can provide some insight.

1. I understand that with Android (unless you mod it, which I most likely will not be doing) you cannot run applications from the SD Card. That being said, the Hero comes with 512MB internal storage, and say hypothetically, I have 350 contacts, never delete text messages or call log and have 60 apps installed (most likely, no games, which i understand take up the most room), will the storage provided suffice? What gets stored on internal memory besides apps?

2. Has visual voicemail been confirmed? I've seen Sprint documentation stating it was, however, I haven't seen it referenced or demonstrated in any of the 25 or so reviews I've read.

3. How does the calendar, mail and contact clients stack up against WinMo? I rely heavily on my calendar, as it's synced with my company's exchange server. It basically keeps my life orgainzed on every level, so I'd really need it to be pretty solid. Again, I haven't really seen this touched on in any of the reviews. Same with mail. Contacts I guess I've seen reviewed pretty extensively because of the integration it has with all of the social networking and whatnot, so my main concern are the calendar and the mail clients.

4. Can the Hero be used with a Mac OSX? I am not looking to sync anything, as that will all be handled via Exchange Servers, however, for adding music files, pictures, other files, can it be used via USB with a Mac? I'm pretty sure it can, since it is essentially "mounting" the SD card to act as an external, and I don't believe that would be O/S specific, but again, I haven't found any hard evidence that confirms it one way or the other.

5. Is it correct that there is no Bluetooth file transfer capabilities? It's not a deal breaker, but it sure is awfully nice when i want to xfer something really quick while at work and without a cable.

6. I see that you can use mp3s as ringtones, and I've seen conflicting reports about them being accessible from the sd card. Do the songs have to be on the internal memory or can they be stored on an sd card and used as ringtones?

If anyone can provide insight, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Thanks guys.

Advertisement
  2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Member

I can't answer some of you questions but I'll try to answer the others.

1. I understand that with Android (unless you mod it, which I most likely will not be doing) you cannot run applications from the SD Card. That being said, the Hero comes with 512MB internal storage, and say hypothetically, I have 350 contacts, never delete text messages or call log and have 60 apps installed (most likely, no games, which i understand take up the most room), will the storage provided suffice? What gets stored on internal memory besides apps?

Unfortunately you won't have the whole 512mb storage, when I had my Hero for the first time it had 155-160mb (I have also confirmed this with other members). It could be the additional Apps installed or other Sense stuff? Not sure but you will have 160mb for Apps.

6. I see that you can use mp3s as ringtones, and I've seen conflicting reports about them being accessible from the sd card. Do the songs have to be on the internal memory or can they be stored on an sd card and used as ringtones?

I have my ringtones stored in my SD. There are alot of Apps that can set ringtones from SD like "Ring Extended" or "Ringdroid". I don't think it's a good idea to use your internal memory for music, not enough!

I could be wrong but I hope this helps.

3. ToxicToastKatz

Yikes!! only 160MB from a 512MB start?!?!!? OUCH! Is 160 MB sufficient storage for apps?

I agree about the storing music internally, I want to avoid storing anything internally if I can help it, especially since you're only getting 160 of the 512 to play with.

4. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Member

Before I rooted my phone, I had around 30-40 apps installed (mostly games) and still had 110-120mb left, so yes I think it's enough.

When I rooted my phone weeks ago, I currently have 115mb left with 166 apps (all heavy apps).

Yep having 14gb of external storage is definitely worth it (1.3gb for apps and few for linuxswap)

5. ToxicToastKatz

Based on what i've heard, games are pretty memory intensive. At least a lot more than a typical productivity app. so if you had 30-40 apps, with most being games, and still had 110-120 left, that should be plenty. Thanks for the input! How about any of the other questions I had? Any insight on some of those things? I am 99.99999999999% getting the hero when it releases, I just want to have all the info I can so I am not blindsided 1 week into owning it and come to find out I can't do something on it that I use a lot in WinMo.

6. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Member

3. How does the calendar, mail and contact clients stack up against WinMo? I rely heavily on my calendar, as it's synced with my company's exchange server. It basically keeps my life orgainzed on every level, so I'd really need it to be pretty solid. Again, I haven't really seen this touched on in any of the reviews. Same with mail. Contacts I guess I've seen reviewed pretty extensively because of the integration it has with all of the social networking and whatnot, so my main concern are the calendar and the mail clients.

Calendar is brilliant! Unfortunately I can't tell you much about MS Exchange, my company moved to Google Apps.

4. Can the Hero be used with a Mac OSX? I am not looking to sync anything, as that will all be handled via Exchange Servers, however, for adding music files, pictures, other files, can it be used via USB with a Mac? I'm pretty sure it can, since it is essentially "mounting" the SD card to act as an external, and I don't believe that would be O/S specific, but again, I haven't found any hard evidence that confirms it one way or the other.

I'm pretty sure you can Mount your SD on Macs/Linux/Windows, but I saw some users complaining about upgrading firmwares as HTC doesn't release Macs/Linux updaters. You can do it with Windows Emulator for Macs and Linux.

I could be wrong but that's what I heard and read.

5. Is it correct that there is no Bluetooth file transfer capabilities? It's not a deal breaker, but it sure is awfully nice when i want to xfer something really quick while at work and without a cable.

There is an app that enables you to send files through Bluetooth in the Market.

Cyrket - Bluetooth File Transfer

Havn't tried it yet as I don't use bluetooth often.

I am 99.99999999999% getting the hero when it releases, I just want to have all the info I can so I am not blindsided 1 week into owning it and come to find out I can't do something on it that I use a lot in WinMo.

Android has a lot of potential but sadly it is still incomplete but growing really fast. I'm pretty sure the Android team/Devs are working hard to make sure it has or better features as the other mainstream Mobile OS/Phones.

Windows Mobile been in the industry for a long time now, so it has features that Android doesn't, but give it some time. ;-)

Hope this helps.

7. ToxicToastKatz

With regards to updating firmware, as long as the phone isn't computer specific, meaning, if i "mount" the sd card to my Mac at home it still lets me attach the phone to my pc at work, this is not an issue. I do have a Windows laptop at home, but it's so painfully slow, i rarely turn it on. I mainly use my iMac at home, however, I have full access to Windows at work, so I can always do firmware and os updates (as rare as they'll be) at work. My main concern is adding typical files (pictures, music, etc.) which doesn't seem like it will be a problem.