• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help General OS Lag loading homescreen and using Droid

endoftheline

Jul 25, 2010
Around the time I got 2.2, I guess a few months ago, my
motdroidvert.gif
has been generally sluggish, with specific things sometimes being very slow. I can't really say it only started since 2.2 came out for sure, but its around that time. Basically I never had these slowdown problems when I had 2.1 or closer to when it first came out when it still had 2.0. (I've had it since launch back in November)

I have 68Mb free on the internal memory, and have 12MB +71MB in 15 normally free in the RAM. With only a few process running like lookout.

The worst noticeable slowdown is the home screen sometimes takes about 8 seconds to load
icon_eek.gif
after hitting the home key while in, the browser, market, gmail or almost any app, it sometime seems to happen after leaving.

I use the pattern unlock, and sometime after I put in my correct pattern, that also lags for about 8 seconds and then unlocks the phone.

I know that the droid is old now, with the rate of new android phones coming out every week it seems like, but I'm not really running any different apps since when I first had the phone yet it seems to have these issues, that it never had like 4 months ago

I'm wondering if anyone knows if doing a factory reset then reinstalling some apps and upgrading back to 2.2 would make a significant improvement with these issues, or if there is some kind of App or cleanup that can help with these lag issues.

get a new phone.

But seriously, I have the same problem. I had installed launcherpro which had solved the problem, but now the lag is back.

Are we the only ones with a problem like this? Or is this just the way things go? It kinda sucks since I got the Droid this spring and it's already slow.

I made the mistake of buying an old phone. From now one, I recommend to all my friends, and I'll do this as well, only to buy an Android phone within the first month it comes out and only if it has the latest version of Android. Like how the Nexus S has 2.3 while everybody is still on 2.2.

Upvote 0
The majority of your slownes is probably one of 2 issues - a lot of cached items from the apps you have installed, or else a ton of files on your SDCard causing the slow down as it scans. Usually, the second causes slowdown only when booting, IIRC, so my guess is the cache from a lot of the apps you have installed.

I'd go into Settings --> Applications --> Manage Applications then go through your list and clear out caches of apps that you don't use a lot (or, conversely, apps that you do use a lot).

Also, how many SMS messages do you have? Might want to Look at SMS Backup & Restore to back them up and then delete them from your phone (the backup will still be there if you *really* need to have access to them.

Upvote 0
I do have a lot of text messages, probably 40 threads at their max of 200 messages. The setting is set to 200 messages per conversation. I will try backing up the text messages and using the Quick System Info Pro to clear some caches.

My stock 16GB SD card still has 14.5GB free, I don't have much on it.

I have also noticed that my battery life is pretty bad now, but since its over a year on the original battery, I have just bought a new one and I am going to try that out, amazon sells the stock battery for $5.

Upvote 0
I do have a lot of text messages, probably 40 threads at their max of 200 messages. The setting is set to 200 messages per conversation. I will try backing up the text messages and using the Quick System Info Pro to clear some caches.

My stock 16GB SD card still has 14.5GB free, I don't have much on it.

I have also noticed that my battery life is pretty bad now, but since its over a year on the original battery, I have just bought a new one and I am going to try that out, amazon sells the stock battery for $5.

Be careful - I bought 2, both advertised as 'new' batteries - neither was new.

Granted, they work well, but they were definitely not new.

I used the sms backup to make the backup, does anyone know where in the phone file system file is stored with all the messages, I'd like to copy it to my computer

The actual .XML file made by SMS backup & Restore? /sdcard/SMSBackupRestore/{filename}.xml, where file name is as follows: sms-YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.xml

Of course, this is assuming you used SMS Backup & Restore by Ritesh Sahu, not SMS Backup + by Jan berkel, not SMS BACJKUP n2manager by n2Manager, nor SMS Backup by Christoph Studer, nor SMS Backup by Michele Valentini....

Reactions: endoftheline
Upvote 0
The actual .XML file made by SMS backup & Restore? /sdcard/SMSBackupRestore/{filename}.xml, where file name is as follows: sms-YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.xml

Thanks that was exactly the path I was looking for, I found it. Interesting what you say about the batteries, is there anywhere that you can get actual new ones that will actually have a good charge?

Upvote 0
Yup - from Motorola's website. but they cost like $40 or so....

See this thread: http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...-batteries-amazon-holy-shitaki-mushrooms.html

And my post here: http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...mazon-holy-shitaki-mushrooms.html#post1140951

And my post here: http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...rger-question-voltage-output.html#post1331386

The used ones, as long as they actually work, are probably fine, mine work in tandem with each other. I used to have 3 total batteries, but I accidentally washed one, so I am down to 2....But I still get well over 4 hours of continuous Pandora usage out of each battery.

Then see this post: http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...enders-replacement-batteries.html#post2070810

And see about getting this little doohickey for free ($2.95 S&H): P790 - Cellhut Search Result

And read the rest of that last post about how to make it work with your DROID.

HTH

Reactions: endoftheline
Upvote 0
That is the exact battery I bought, the from amazon one everyone was talking about, so I guess those are the used ones, but they still may work better than the old battery I have now. I wonder if anyone tested to see if the $5 amazon battery is different from the $40 you were referring to that you could get direct from Motorola? I wonder if they are in fact the same battery model?

In terms of my phones performance, I have erased all my text message threads, and cleared the cache of all my apps.

Also when I look under the Memory section of Quick System Info Pro, it normally shows that I have ~50mb free, and under "System Storage" I only have 14MB free out of 140MB. I'm not sure what that system storage is, it doesn't seem to be the phones internal memory, as it says I have 84MB free there.

I noticed when I restarted my phone, a lot of things reappeared in the processes tab, that I had previously closed, like Amazon mp3, Gallery, My Verizon Mobile, and some App's I had closed before I rebooted. So it looks like they are set to autostart like on a computer.

However I also see that even with like 8 more processes listed, that say they each use around ~12MB of memory, my amount of free memory still stays at ~50MB free. So I guess they are not actually using the memory even tho the process is there. (They seem to say sleep mode)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones