General question about custom ROMs

Last Updated:

1. mplsnst

mplsnst Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all, I'm running basic Sprint 2.1 rooted. I've removed all the bloatware, and wireless tether is working great. Pretty much everything is working great, actually, aside from the standard dialer and contact lagginess many people have reported, plus occasional lagginess in other areas.

So here's my question: Is there a custom ROM out there that solves the lagginess problem while leaving everything else basically functional and intact? I've been reading the threads around all the various ROMs, and while it seems that some offer real advantages in various areas, it also appears that each introduces its own new set of problems and dysfunctions. While I'd love a snappier phone, I don't want a bunch of new bugs, worse battery life, whatever. I mean, based on the threads here, the average custom ROM user's experience would seem to be slightly worse than my experience with the standard Sprint release.

That said, I do understand that people are much more likely to post in detail about problems than they are about things just working normally and transparently, creating an inherent bias toward the negative in this kind of discussion format. And I'm very much willing to be persuaded that my current impression is wrong. So, thoughts anyone? Suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

My thoughts/suggestions are this:

You have a rooted phone :). Make a nandroid backup and try out a ROM. I personally recommend Fresh 2.1.2. If you don't like it, you can always restore back to your nandroid backup :)

3. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

I think that rooted users are more apt to post and ask for a solution to their problems than users of the official update. Only because we know that someone has probably already had the issue, and found a solution to it. And that is the good thing about rooting, if something doesn't work, you have the power to fix it or change to something else without the issue. In general those who have rooted like to tinker, so if we are tinkering and run into a snag, we post and ask about it. That is why the bias may lean towards rooted users appearing to have way more issues, methinks.

That said, I have had great luck with Fresh 2.1.1. It doesn't have all the stock apps, but you can get all of them, or just the ones you want to put back on your phone through the dev's website. Many will say that 2.1.2 is their choice, but I am having a small issue getting it to run for me:), so i am still running 2.1.1. I really think that you would have great luck with either of these roms as Flipz does a great job developing. (And if you don't you will have a nandroid backup to restore yourself to where you are now, so no harm done)

Here is the link to the website for these roms:

Geek For Me – Sprint Evo 4g & CDMA Hero

4. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Well-Known Member

Just make a Nandroid of the one you are on and comfortable with. Then just flash some ROM's until you find the one you like the best.