• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root General questions about backing up rooted phone as well as setting defaults.

mpenn20

Lurker
Mar 17, 2012
I have a rooted Xperia Play r800x running android 2.3.3. I haven't yet used Titanium Backup. I've read in certain places that you need to have usb tethering on in order to use the program, so I was wondering if that was necessary. After I create a backup, I would like to remove some bloatware (most specifically the stock launcher). I've read in other threads about things that are ok to remove, and I've removed some things especially some of the stock games.

Other than that, my only other questions pertain to setting and then having my phone remember defaults. I use dolphin browser instead of stock, GO Launcher and GO Contacts instead of the stock apps, handcent sms instead of stock sms, etc. But no matter how many times I tell a program which app to use by default, eventually the phone seems to forget what I told it and I often find myself having to select defaults over and over. I've also tried going into Settings/Manage Applications and going into the programs, but the "Set as default" options for the individual apps are usually un-clickable, if that makes sense. Will deleting the stock launcher help with this?

I know I've asked a lot, and I'm sure these questions have been answered at some points in other threads, but I'm new to the forum and would really appreciate any advice. Also, I was wondering if there were any good recommendations for root apps to try. I currently use things like Cachemate, App 2 SD, Root Uninstaller and Barnacle Wi-fi tether.

Thank you,
Mark

I have a rooted Xperia Play r800x running android 2.3.3. I haven't yet used Titanium Backup. I've read in certain places that you need to have usb tethering on in order to use the program, so I was wondering if that was necessary. After I create a backup, I would like to remove some bloatware (most specifically the stock launcher). I've read in other threads about things that are ok to remove, and I've removed some things especially some of the stock games.

Other than that, my only other questions pertain to setting and then having my phone remember defaults. I use dolphin browser instead of stock, GO Launcher and GO Contacts instead of the stock apps, handcent sms instead of stock sms, etc. But no matter how many times I tell a program which app to use by default, eventually the phone seems to forget what I told it and I often find myself having to select defaults over and over. I've also tried going into Settings/Manage Applications and going into the programs, but the "Set as default" options for the individual apps are usually un-clickable, if that makes sense. Will deleting the stock launcher help with this?

I know I've asked a lot, and I'm sure these questions have been answered at some points in other threads, but I'm new to the forum and would really appreciate any advice. Also, I was wondering if there were any good recommendations for root apps to try. I currently use things like Cachemate, App 2 SD, Root Uninstaller and Barnacle Wi-fi tether.

Thank you,
Mark

1) titanium backup does not need USB tethering.
2) check the sticky here, it has a link to xda state of R800x thread with safe to remove apps.
3) if you download a new app and it changes defaults (I.e. links in Tapatalk, new launcher, etc.) It will reset choices... other than that, I've never run into that problem...
4) you shouldnt need a root app2sd program (unless you're using sd-ext) ... look into cwm for xperia, a good file explorer (I use root explorer, but I think es explorers does similar stuff) and adfree.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones