• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help General questions/issues thread

Hey guys, long time no see!!! I got rid of my original EVO for the iPhone and realized that the grass wasn't any greener. In fact, it sucked!! I got the EVO 4G LTE and I had just a few questions I was hoping you guys could answer!!!

1) Is the full screen weather animation gone?
2) Is Mobile hotspot free?
3) I know the dedicated search button is gone, but is there a quick shortcut to it?
4) And probably the biggest (but smallest) is WHERE IS THE HTC NOTEPAD WIDGET?!

Thanks in advance guys!! Can't wait to root again and help all of you with your problems and questions!!!

Sense 4.0 got rid of a lot of the bloat that prior versions of dense had be come to be known for. Full weather animations each time you unlock the phone are gone

Mobile hotspot is easily modified with 1 line of code

You can always use the search widget or remap resent apps to either search or menu

Never used notepad but I'm sure there are plenty of market options if its not there

Reactions: ZepTepi
Upvote 0
No telling why the Note widget was removed, but the root community has a solution to restore it that works for some, not others, so installation details are still being hammered out.

Root options will also let you map - as but one example - a long press on one of your keys to bring up Google Search.

A really good place to start is the Charmeleon rom, because it gives you options to simply change your setups via, well, setups, as opposed to multiple flashes, and then decide on your various rom choices from there.

See the root sticky guide to get rid of the Apple-edicted function lockouts, add the full CM DSP Manager, update your camera, etc etc.

Welcome back to Android!

Reactions: ZepTepi
Upvote 0
I'm confused. I still have weather animations each time I unlock the phone(??). I'm using the stock Sense clock/weather widget on the homescreen, and have the animations turned on, so i get clouds, lightning, sun rays, etc each time I unlock the phone. I actually prefer it that way, and is the main reason i haven't stuck with a 3rd party launcher on this device yet.

Upvote 0
I'm confused. I still have weather animations each time I unlock the phone(??). I'm using the stock Sense clock/weather widget on the homescreen, and have the animations turned on, so i get clouds, lightning, sun rays, etc each time I unlock the phone. I actually prefer it that way, and is the main reason i haven't stuck with a 3rd party launcher on this device yet.

I wondered, I thought I had that on this phone before changing my launcher.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0

confirmed, I was able to turn on full screen animations and now i have all animations back.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I don't have the LTEVO, but they had it on a phone I played around with in the Sprint store. I thought maybe the OP and others were referring to something else more intricate/animated than that.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Hey guys, OP here of course. What I was referring to has been figured out by all you wonderful people! Im guessing full screen animation is disabled by default because I hadn't touched it since I brought it home from the store.

And to answer question about the iPhone, in a very simple answer, I disliked everything. The only thing I liked was that all my music was integrated seemlessly. An hour of two of my time and a 32GB Microsd card fixed that.

Upvote 0
When it was time for my upgrade I thought long and hard about what to replace my original EVO with. With all the GS3 commericials I had to give it a shot so I did. Then I found myself frustrated with the way some of the functions operated. Don't get me started on the predicitive text, it couldn't even figure out some basic words (or at least put the most likely first on the list). So, I decided to pass that along to my son and wait a month for his upgrade as I did more research. Now I have the EVO LTE...and now I have new frustrations.

First-Why did they stop letting you control the volume of ringers and notifications individually? Is there any way around this? I used this all the time at night. When I'm on call for work I would leave the ringer turned up while I turned notifications to silent. Is there an app that can help? Since I use different notifications for different apps (standard messaging, google voice, facebook, standard notifications...) I can't just easily change them to

Secondly-when my alarm goes off I have to drag dismiss to the circle, then put in my PIN, then hit dismiss. WTF? OK, I just tested this again and it seemed to dismiss when I dragged dismiss to the circle. Maybe a fluke this morning?

Upvote 0
i was talking to a sprint employee who sells phones... on a bus.
she said.. that she had had many clients (not everyone) bring them back for the same issue.

the phone just randomly turns off and does not want to come back on... but wait a few hours and it will turn on.

EDIT: this was about the EVO LTE.

Upvote 0
i was talking to a sprint employee who sells phones... on a bus.
she said.. that she had had many clients (not everyone) bring them back for the same issue.

the phone just randomly turns off and does not want to come back on... but wait a few hours and it will turn on.

EDIT: this was about the EVO LTE.

I hope the phone doesn't just shut itself and back on at random intervals. I hope I didn't make a mistake going from GS3 to EVO LTE. I like the look and feel of the EVO LTE better. I'm used to Sense UI having has a Hero and EVO. I think removing the ability to change volume independently is stupid.

this thread is in the EVO LTE sub-form

we (me and the sprint employee on the bus) were discussing the EVO LTE.. and how it would randomly turn off.. and not come back on.. for a few hours. this was not on all phones.. just a random few.

Upvote 0
I used to use an app called Audio Manager back in Android 2.3 and it let me change whatever i wanted. It gave 6 different audio types to change, including a Ringer and a Notification option...

I know i don't need it anymore with my device rooted though.

This is the reason I like Android. You can always find a way to customize to get the phone the way you want. However, I also don't like having to put a ton of apps on the phone just to operate how I think it should versus apps for productivity or fun. Anyway, I ended up putting Hide It on my phone which includes an audio manager that allows for separate control of volume levels. Plus the ability to hide stuff on my phone from the casual observer. I was looking for an app to do that anyway.

Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0
The tied volumes is a standard change in ics by Google, HTC simply followed suit.

Reports of the LTEvo randomly shutting down and not coming up are few and far between on our forums - about the same for other models.

Guess I should complain to Google then :). HTC had it right in the old EVO where you could choose to use the same volume or not by checking the box. I was actually considering going back to the GS3 for this one issue. I had already worked through all of the issues I had with the GS3 except the bad predictive text and the crappy dialer. HTC has the best dialer IMO. The only thing I liked better on the GS3 was the swipe right to call left to text function.

Now to figure out the NFC file transfers.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
OK Figured out NFC...that it doesn't work for large files like pictures and such. Oh well, I never thought it was that useful considering on the GS3 I had to take the case off to get it to work.

As for the separate volume controls, Hide It doesn't actually work either. It shows separate controls but when you back out and go back in they end up the same levels. Oh well, the search for separate volume control continues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones