• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help General questions thread/discussion (New to Android/M7?)

Does the HTC One come with any "other" animated emoji's? I use "CHOMP" for the emoji's now, but was wondering if the stock phone has some (other than holding down the "z" button).

Don't know what you mean by holding down the z button but emoji's are standard with the HTC messaging app. Are you a guy or girl? Just asking because I thought only females send/ use emoji's.

Upvote 0
Don't know what you mean by holding down the z button but emoji's are standard with the HTC messaging app. Are you a guy or girl? Just asking because I thought only females send/ use emoji's.

Lots of people use them, the question wasn't fair ok.

Let's move on.

Upvote 0
I've had my HTC one for about a month and now notice green squares appearing at top of screen when surfing the web. Here is a screen shot.

Screenshot_2013-08-13-13-36-02.png

Owned android phones for years and have never seen this before. Can anyone tell me what it is.

Upvote 0
Can you move Google play purchased music to the native music app? I don't like the idea of having to search two separate sources for my music.

Thanks for advice.

I have been using an app called Cloud Music Importer by Sapien Mobile. It allows you to take all, or any of your Google Play music, and move it to a regular location with regular file names so you can use it with whatever music app you want. I started using it way back with my Evo 3D. Back then, the program worked, but wasn't exactly user friendly, or fast. Since then, they have automated a ton of the process, and made it more configurable. Now it automatrically syncs any of my Google Play Music if I mark it to make available offline in Google Music. I don't remember how much the app is no. Back when I bought it, it was like $1.29. I know the price has gone up since then, but it is so worth it.

There may be other apps to do the same thing, but since this one does everything I want, I never searched further. Of course, you can do the same thing the app does, without the app, it is just more of a pain. You have to make the songs available offline, then use a file manager to browse out to the temporary location it puts them in, copy the MP3s off somewhere else, then play them to find out what each one is, so you can rename it from the random number filename it has. Or at least, that is how the process USED to work. Again, since I have had this program for so long, I haven't had to look into the process further.

Or maybe I am misunderstanding your question. That is always a possibility with me. :)

Reactions: nynvolt
Upvote 0
I've had my HTC one for about a month and now notice green squares appearing at top of screen when surfing the web. Here is a screen shot.

Screenshot_2013-08-13-13-36-02.png

Owned android phones for years and have never seen this before. Can anyone tell me what it is.

Looks like the ... for the settings. What web browser are you using? Do you have any add-ons installed for the browser? I have never seen that with the stock browser. I generally use Dolphin as my browser, and haven't seen that. I have only used Chrome, Opera and Firefox a little bit, but don't recall seeing that in those browsers either.

Almost looks like you have something that allows pop-out browsing. Like, allowing you to have a YouTube video playing on top of the screen while you browse another page. Or something LIKE that. I only say that, because the positioning of it seems really odd to be a regular feature of a browser.

Can you tap on the dots? I mean, are they functional, or just annoying bits on the screen?

Reactions: mac4095
Upvote 0
Looks like the ... for the settings. What web browser are you using? Do you have any add-ons installed for the browser? I have never seen that with the stock browser. I generally use Dolphin as my browser, and haven't seen that. I have only used Chrome, Opera and Firefox a little bit, but don't recall seeing that in those browsers either.

Almost looks like you have something that allows pop-out browsing. Like, allowing you to have a YouTube video playing on top of the screen while you browse another page. Or something LIKE that. I only say that, because the positioning of it seems really odd to be a regular feature of a browser.

Can you tap on the dots? I mean, are they functional, or just annoying bits on the screen?

Stock browser no add-ons that I know of. Dots do nothing when tapped. When first noticed they just flashed on screen now will stay long enough to tap on or get screen shot. Do not appear on all web sites.

Upvote 0
Stock browser no add-ons that I know of. Dots do nothing when tapped. When first noticed they just flashed on screen now will stay long enough to tap on or get screen shot. Do not appear on all web sites.

Does it always appear on the same site/sites? Could be a formatting issue with the site that causes those to pop up when you zoom in.

Reactions: mac4095
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Apparently, Google has removed cloud music importer and similar apps from the play store. I've gone through astro searching for the hidden files without luck.

I won't be buying any more music from Google.

Thanks for the help.

This is the second time their app has been pulled. I didn't realize it was gone. I'll email the dev and see what's up with it. Tomorrow I will find the instructions for doing it manually. Unless someone here has the instructions handy.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I have just got a HTC One and so far i really like it, but it's really bugging me that i can't seem to turn predictive text off. I've always hated it and i really don't want it turned on as it takes me twice as long to type anything! But, after a bit of digging around, i found my way into Settings -> Language and Keyboard -> HTC Sense Input -> Advanced, and in there, there is a section entitled "Prediction Preference" with 2 options: the top one is, "Word Prediction: Suggestion options for current word while typing," which is checked by default and greyed out so you can't uncheck it, and below that, "Next Word Prediction: Suggestion options for the next word while typing," which is currently unchecked. Please tell me this doesn't mean there's no way of turning predictive text off, permanently?! :(

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Hi guys

I've just got a htc one yesterday and I'm having a few of problems. They seem like simple problems but I've been looking on the Internet and can't seem to find any answers so I thought I'd ask here.

The three problems I'm having are is there an email widget that allows you to see a few emails without clicking into it? I can see one for gmail but it doesn't seem to work as I use hotmail. I've just been using the mail app but this just means I have to open it to see any emails. If there isn't a widget does anyone know of any good ones I could download?

Secondly I save my contacts on my sim and phone in case one breaks I don't loose all my contacts and want to select to only show say phone contacts so they're not all duplicated but I can't find the option. I'm guessing it must be there because I've been doing this on phones for as long as I can remember.

Lastly when I text I like the fact it shows up recommended words but if the recommended words aren't correct and I click space it still chooses a recommended word so I have to go back and retype. I'm hoping there's an option like on Samsung galaxy where if I don't click the recommended word it just leaves the word as I typed it. If this Isn't an option does anyone know any keyboards I can download that might do this?

This seems to have turned into quite a long post but I'd be grateful if anyone can help on any of these issues

Cheers

Andrew

Upvote 0
Lastly when I text I like the fact it shows up recommended words but if the recommended words aren't correct and I click space it still chooses a recommended word so I have to go back and retype. I'm hoping there's an option like on Samsung galaxy where if I don't click the recommended word it just leaves the word as I typed it. If this Isn't an option does anyone know any keyboards I can download that might do this?
If you spot it and backspace straight away (delete the space) it will revert to what you typed. And if you touch the unhighlighted word that you typed (in the suggestions) it will add it to the dictionary (I think also if you revert it as above and then hit space again).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones