1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

General questions

1. Taha763

Taha763 New Member

I have very basic questions:
    (I am considering buying an Android phone, its my first one)
    1. Is the android experience good?
    2. Can all the apps get installed in SD card?
    (I have heard not all apps can be installed on SD card)
    3. I have been to the google play website and all the apps which I have seen the basic requirement is 2.3 or lower, if it is lowest requirement for all apps then why do people go for android 4 etc?

(Sorry by this post I did not mean to offend any one)

Advertisement
    :
  2. T.M.M.L

T.M.M.L Well-Known Member

Greetings Taha763,

Welcome to the forums.

1. Any experience rating of good/bad, is a matter of personal opinion. I myself, love the Android experience. I love being able to setup my phone the way I want it. It will not look like anyone else's. One of my main issues with IOS, is that all the phones look exactly the same. Same number of rows, same number of columns No individuality.

2. I think since 4.0 (Ice cream sandwich), all apps have access to all internal memory. The memory used to be separated between operating system and apps. In the earlier versions of Android, when you had limited app space, it was up to the app developer whether or not you could move a app to the SD card. Even when you could, the entire app was not moved. There was always some part left on your device.

3. Most of the time, the minimal requirements are based around the version of Android that was available when the app was created. Older apps will likely have lower version requirements than newer apps.

3b. As Android versions increase, the amount of things that can be accomplished with apps increases as well. Sometimes a app will be created that relies on something that the lower versions of Android do not have or allow.

Hope this answers your questions for you.

Again, welcome the forum. Enjoy your stay.
  3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

1. Some find it good, some not. Its a matter of preference only YOU can answer for yourself once you have the phone.

2. No. But as stated above, with Android 4.0 you have access to the entire internal memory for storing apps. So what you should do is make sure that the Android you are getting is using Android 4.0, or if you can only afford something running Android 2.3, check if it is upgradable. Failing that, make sure it has at least 3GB of onboard storage.

3. Because its newer and better. Android 4.0 has more features, has certain apps that only work with 4.0 and higher (like Chrome), and is generally faster on the same hardware. I can throw the question back at you. Would you rather buy a laptop running Windows XP, or one that runs Windows 7? I'd think you'd answer that you'd get the one with the newer Windows.
  4. itsallgood

itsallgood Well-Known Member

1) As others have said, it depends on the individual. Do you like to customize your phone. etc.? For me, I love android I have an Atrix 4G and even though its running GB, I love the phone and the experience with it and the accessories. You can choose between any number of phone designs, OS systems, storage space, specs, etc. (Variety)

2) It might depend on the OS and the phone you have. I use an app called "AppsSaver" which allows me to move the apps from the apps storage storage location, to the phones internal storage area. (I can't move the apps to my SD card, since the internal storage is labled as an SD card.)

3) Mostly because of the new features, look, stability and security updates.
  5. Taha763

Taha763 New Member

6. SIII groupie

SIII groupie Well-Known Member

Some apps cannot be moved. Why is this so critical.
  7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

An app will load faster and experience less to no lag if it stays in the phone memory, based in my experience. As much as possible I'd advice don't bother moving apps to SD card and just buy a phone with ample space.