Generic chargers and the Droid X?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. Harb67

Harb67 Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone have any experience using generic, non-Verizon-sold chargers with their X?

I know the original Droid would get fussy with many aftermarket/generic chargers; that's the only reason I ask this.

The chargers Verizon sells are an absolute scam. I buy all my cables from monoprice.com and I was planning on buying 10 3' and 3 6' USB cables from them for charging my X (3' are currently on sale for $0.48 a piece!). I noticed that Monoprice also sells a few generic wall chargers but a few people mentioned issues with the Droid, so I'm a bit leery about ordering them with the intent of using them for the X.

Has Motorola been kind and decided to let us charge our X's off of any USB source of power, or are we locked in to Verizon-sold overpriced nonsense?

*edit*

Also, if someone wants to be reeeeally nice, what are the power specs on the charger that comes with the phone? I'd like to compare those numbers to the one I linked above, but mine is at home and I'm at work.

Advertisement
  2. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

I've used probably a half dozen different brands of chargers, two car chargers and at least 4 wall chargers, with absolutely no problems. And I charge it off my computer frequently, too. Oh, and I mix between 4 differently-branded USB cables depending on where I am or what I'm carrying.

Specs on the stock Motorola charger is 850 mA/5V.

Charge with whatever you like!

3. RayRayRay

RayRayRay New Member

I bought a cheap wall charger the other week from Meritline.com and it doesn't work. Not sure if it is defective or the droid X doesn't like it. The output on the cheap charger is DC5V /1A. Was trying to compare with the one that came with the droid x, but it doesn't seem to specify on theirs.
    I also have the cheap cables and they work, but it does seem to have some significant decrease in performance than the stock cable. The cheap cables have a noticeable smaller difference in the thickness.

4. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

Motorola AC Power Supply
    SPN5504a
    Model FMP5504A
    Input 100-240V~50/60Hz 0.2A
    Output: 5.1V 850mA

I have used my old BlackBerry charger at work sometimes and it charges fine. Haven't tried any other chargers.

GMB

5. Harb67

Harb67 Member This Topic's Starter

Woot, thanks everyone.

Ten 3-foot cables, three 6-foot cables, and 2 chargers for $22.79 shipped, not a bad deal :D My reasoning is that since I keep losing my cables and finding them days later, if I put a cable in every spot I could possible use one I'll never actually be able to lose them!

God I love monoprice :D

Also, apologies to the mod who had to move the thread; sorry about my momentary stupidity [​IMG]