• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Generic Network Error" when downloading/uploading MMS (Cincinnati Bell Carrier)

I just got MyTouch 4G (unlocked) and added a data package from Cincinnati Bell. I configured the APN settings as followed for both WAP and MMS. Cincinnati Bell does not have MyTouch under their "supported phones" so I instead chose Google Nexus One

WAP Settings (website: Cincinnati Bell Wireless Product Support - WAP Configuration - Finished - Google Nexus One)

Name: CBW Internet
APN: web.gocbw.com
Proxy: (none)
Port: (none)
Username: (none)
Password: (none)
Server: (none)
MMSC: (none)
MMS Proxy: (none)
MMS Port: (none)
MCC: 310
MNC: 420
Authentication Type: PAP
APN: (none

MMS (Cincinnati Bell Wireless Product Support - Multi-Media Message (MMS) Configuration - Finished - Google Nexus One) Some of my settings, however, were slightly modified because I checked and compiled them into my settings.

Name: CBW MMS
APN: wap.gocbw.com
Username: cbw
MMSC: http://mms.gocbw.com:8088/mms
MMS Proxy: 219.68.79.202
MMS Port: 80
APN: default,mms

With this I was able to get on the internet and stuff; but I am still not able to send/receive my mms, I can receive the text, but can't download the picture, and when sending the mms, it takes a good 5 mins for it to respond "Failed after multiple trials: Generic Network Failure"

I've looked at several forums and took the steps that they gave such as:
Uninstalling Task Killer
Doing a Hard Reset
Checking other APN settings
Sending MMS to myself (failed to send too)

I don't know what else to do....
Also, I do not have Quick Settings installed.

You settings will not work. Not sure how it works with other carriers but on CBW you cannot use two different APN's for Internet and MMS. What I mean is that you're using "web.gocbw.com" for internet and "wap.gocbw.com" for MMS. Either change you Internet to "wap.gocbw.com" or make a single APN setup with both sets of setting (I'd use wap.gocbw.com still). Using one APN might not work as some devices are a bit touchy with trying to use one APN for MMS and Internet and some are fine.

Single APN setup Example:
Name: CBW Internet & MMS
Proxy: 216.68.79.202
Port: 80
Server: 216.68.79.199
APN: default,mms

Two APN setup Example:
WAP Settings:
Name: CBW Internet
Proxy: 216.68.79.202
Port: 80
Server: 216.68.79.199
MMSC: (none)
MMS Proxy: (none)
MMS Port: (none)
APN: default

MMS:
Name: CBW MMS
APN: mms

Upvote 0
Ok... I tried both your setups

the single didn't work

the duo, i managed to send 1 mms out to myself, but couldn't download it. nor could i send anymore mms again. T.T
wth....

My friend has a Nexus S under CBW also. All he has under his APN was I think... the CBW MMS part. I'll have to check and see to verify.

EDIT: NVM!! the duo APN setup you posted work! TYVM :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones