• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Generic Network Failure - Incredible rooted running Skyraider

My phone is currently unable to send/receive any picture messages. Whenever I send/receive one I get the following error:
"Unable to send message. Retrying - Generic Network Failure"

I've searched around and tried to troubleshoot using the APN backup/restore method and the curvefish APN widget method:

APN backup/restore (see thread - http://androidforums.com/incredible...ck-settings-bug-mobile-data-switch-issue.html)
- Backed up APN, opened using a text editor (see below) on my computer and deleted all instances of "[disabled]" then restored the "fixed" APN and rebooted. Upon reboot the phone still had the same symptoms. When I repeated the process I found that the "[disabled]" tags in the APN had magically reappeared.

APN Before Editing
==============
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
<apns count="1">
<apn name="Production" numeric="00000" mcc="000" mnc="00" apn="1[disabled]" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="null" mmsport="null" mmsprotocol="2.0" mmsc="http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms" type="mms[disabled]" />
</apns>
==============

APN After Editing
==============
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
<apns count="1">
<apn name="Production" numeric="00000" mcc="000" mnc="00" apn="1" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="null" mmsport="null" mmsprotocol="2.0" mmsc="http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms" type="mms" />
</apns>
==============

Curvefish APN Widget:
From the same thread linked above, I tried this procedure -
1. Install CurveFish APN On/Off widget.
2. Load widget
3. Press the menu button
4. Choose 'Restore Defaults'

No luck there either. Didn't see any change in phone's behavior. Tried to look at the APN afterwards and didn't notice anything different.

Here's what I'm currently running (I'm not sure what is useful and what's not so I'm just gonna copy everything from the "software info" page:
Rooted Droid Incredible
Android Version 2.2
Basebrand version 2.15.00.07.28
Kernel version 2.6.32.17-g9a2fc16 htc-kernel@u18000-Build-149 #1
Build number 3.26.605.1 CL264707 release-keys
Software number SkyRaider 4.0 Sense Beta

I've tried restoring a previous backup with the stock ROM and had the exact same results. I suspect some mystery app is sneaking the "disabled" tags into the APN, but I have no idea where to look to find out what's doing it. Thanks a lot for anyone who might be able to point me in the right direction.

If you don't feel like reading everything above...
CLIFF NOTES:
1) Phone can't send/receive picture messages
2) googled/forum searched, found a couple troubleshooting methods with no luck
3) suspect something is wrong with APN file, but am unable to fix with APN backup/restore
4) any ideas?

The text in my APN file was identical to the one from the thread except for the first line where mine says <apns count="1">, and the thread version has <apns>. I didn't copy/paste the thread version because I knew that the 'count="1"' wasn't what was causing the problem.

Right now I'm trying to flash a fresh ROM and see what happens... wish me luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones