Generic Tablet & Android MarketGeneral

1. Kekerusey

Kekerusey Member

Hi,

I just bought a Flytouch 3 tablet configured with Android 2.2 (I think that’s Froyo) and went off to Android Market to download some free apps, particularly games since it has most of the other stuff I want right now (OK, there’s some dopy Dolphin browser which I’d prefer to replace with Chrome or Firefox but hey ... it was cheap).

Anyway, at Android Market, I discovered I couldn’t install the first thing I tried (said something about not having a phone registered) and a bit more research revealed that phone apps and tablet apps are not the same ... I suppose coming from a Windows background I just assumed that if it was an Android App it would run on Android (unless it required a specific OS version).

So my question is, where do I go to get the best Android tablet apps (if there are other places)? Also, I can see there is a stickied thread on firmware updates but what firmware updates is the best and what are the advantages/disadvantages of applying that to my new tablet?

Keke

Advertisement
  2. bigbaldbloke

bigbaldbloke Well-Known Member

Hi Keke. An app's an app, BUT........ developers can set device parameters to dictate what devices can see their apps in the Market. If you have another Android device, download the app, then copy its apk to the tablet & install from there.

There should also be a thread on here (somewhere) telling you how to widen the choice of apps that are shown. There are a few ways to achieve this, including modifying the "footprint" line in a file called build.prop. This will tell the Market that you have a different device to what you actually have, thus showing all the apps that the fake device can see.

HTH

Kev
    Kekerusey likes this.
  3. Kekerusey

Kekerusey Member

Thanks ... I had a look for build.prop ... lots of threads but no actual instructions on how to.

That said I have now flashed my tablet to later firmware (Tim 4E?) which was scary but easy.

It gave me a choice of interfaces, the old one (called "Home" I think, lots of icons and stuff) and another which looked lots better (though I didn't realise it at the time) ... unfortunately I set the "Home" one as my default launcher and I'd like to change that, any idea how?

I've got the Android Market application working (I think it came with 4E, AM still doesn't work if I try to install from Android Market on the web) but another question ... before I blew away the original configuration it had Skype on it, where do I get that from (part of the reason for buying this was easy mobile communication with our daughter while she's in the US)?

Keke
  4. dart16

dart16 Well-Known Member

menu/settings/applications/manage applications/all/launcher pro...clear defaults

Skype.... you are not expecting video to work are you!Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
    Kekerusey likes this.
  5. bigbaldbloke

bigbaldbloke Well-Known Member

I think it's the other home app, the one that came packaged with the original ROM (TSHome or whatever it's called) that the OP has set as default M.
  6. dart16

dart16 Well-Known Member

Ahh...ok...then menu/settings/Applications/manage applications/all/Infotm Home/ clear defaults... :)
  7. Kekerusey

Kekerusey Member