• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Generic Tablet running O.W.L. ??

sloth243

Lurker
Nov 13, 2013
Hey guys,

I've recently purchased a generic, Chinese manufactured tablet that I could use some help with. I don't know much about the operating systems that these devices use, but this one seems to have something called OWL, on it. Under device info, there is tab for OWL upgrade.

Tried researching this online, and only found a developer site that explains OWL to be a small group of people trying to support the Wildfire S (OWL standing for Operation Wildfire Life). So I'm not sure if this tablet was somehow set up with a version of the mod used in that project, but I am thoroughly confused right now. :thinking:

I've recently downloaded a Hardware Info app from the play store and I'm in the process of gathering some screenshots to post in with this.

There are just some basic PC/Phone/Tablet functions that don't seem to be here, and I've never seen any other device that functions quite like this one does.

Does anyone know more about OWL? Any information would be useful. I'm pretty sure the device is already rooted (but I'm a complete noob) and I hope to be able to somehow upgrade it to a different setup.

Thanks all for your time !! ;)

EDIT: Since I'm new, I'm not sure if I can post any images to the threads... Just got a message when I posted

I'm not sure how long I have to be a member in order to post pictures or web links but I am going to give it a shot. Still trying to find out more about this strange device....

Tablet1small.png

Tablet2small.png

Tablet3small.png

OWL1small.png

OWL2small.png

Upvote 0
I recently bought a new 9" tablet from China, no-name brand, sold as "KJ902". What model name is your tablet?
Seeing your screenshots, I assume it also has a ATM7029 processor.

I wasn't succesful yet on gaining some information about the OWL Upgrade. Dunno if it has something to do with the Wildfire rom on xda-devs. Maybe, as you say, the one installed on the tablets is a somewhat modified version of this Rom.

Did you manage to get the upgrade beyond the point where it says "Server busy.."?? Would be interesting to know which server the app tries to connect. Is there any way to find this out?

It would be nice if you keep us updated on what you find out about this tablet..

Upvote 0
Same here Aosd P706 10.1" Tablet it was supposed to be Android 4.4.2 Kitkat when I ordered it but when it arrived it is Android 4.2.2 Jellybean... Noticed the Owl Update in "about tablet" screen and figured maybe that would upgrade it to 4.4.2 Kitkat... But just get server busy message every time you try it... grrrrr....

Upvote 0
I have got Ctroniq snook C88 tablet and when i try to upgrade owl.... iit gives error that server busy..... anyone with help???? I t actually doesnt perform good thats why i wanna upgrade it.. moreover when i open facebook it keeps on loading pictures but only shows few of it.... Internet runs very very slow...... and even widgets dont show up in their real appearance.... can anyone help me out ????

Upvote 0
Ok so I know this thread is old but on my icraig 733 gd tablet the processor was a
ATM7029B and if you look it up It shows that it is a Chinese processor made by actions and on the actions website it says what that Owl is a series of processor "ATM7029B is the member of Actions’ OWL series Tablet SOC, ATM7029B integrated Leopard Gen.I CPU core, which offers quad-core CPU performance and functionality with low power and low cost"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones