Genie News & Weather Widget Not Working

Last Updated:

1. Haelous

Haelous Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone had any trouble getting the news and weather widget to work today? Usually I check it when I wake up in the morning, but it just displays 'network error'.

I've tried WiFi/3G, uninstalled/reinstalled the apk, and restarted the phone with no luck.

Advertisement
  2. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Well-Known Member

Yeah same for me. Its pissing me off.

3. rvonder

rvonder Well-Known Member

Same problem here. Last night I could still view the stories, but got the 'network error' when trying to configure the widget. Today, I get nothing at all - the widget itself is blank, with the text "Sorry, unable to connect... Please try later" with a "Retry Now" button.

I'm running Froyo 2.2 - can someone confirm that this problem also occurs with 2.1?

Thanks...

4. HustlinDaily

I am on 2.1

I upgraded to FroYo last night and it stopped working (ticker was working on 2.1 pre-update). Then downgraded back to 2.1 (FroYo for Liquid is still in alpha stage, various graphics bugs/WiFi & Camera not working so decided to downgrade. Just wanted to see what it was like).

5. shinesley

shinesley Member

I'm running 2.1 and mine hasn't updated since yesterday morning. Manually refreshing brings up network connection error.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

6. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

I'm here replying because I'm experiencing the same issue. 2.1 OEM.

7. HustlinDaily

Is it working for anybody? Doubt we have some sort of bug because I reset multiple times (even reflashed a bin). I tried everything, even installed a rom which doesn't have it and installed the apk. Shame because that was a great widget, hopefully it gets sorted out soon.

Sent from my Liquid using Tapatalk

8. shaidtan

shaidtan Well-Known Member

I'm getting the same with a Moto Droid running stock 2.1. The temp stopped showing up yesterday (I think) and today after removing and adding the widget I get only a network connect error.

9. HustlinDaily

Its back for me

10. shaidtan

shaidtan Well-Known Member

I just added the widget and it appears to be working here as well. Settings are gone but that's no big deal.

11. thirtyfour41

thirtyfour41 Well-Known Member

Getting the same problem. 2.1 OEM on Droid Incredible. It still says the temp from yesterday afternoon and stuck on the same news story. Tried re-adding widget and still nothing. Refresh does nothing. Also reinstalled yesterday because I was having the same problem and nothing. It's a great little widget, but if it doesn't update it's pointless for me. Had the same problem with the ESPN scorecenter widget. Would never load data correctly or wouldn't update. Made sure I'm not closing the widget in my task killer and still won't update.

12. VegasOnAcid

VegasOnAcid Well-Known Member

Did anyone find a sure fire fix for this? Mine not only stops updating it stops scrolling... just gets stuck on one news article.

13. galtish

galtish New Member

I'm not sure if mine has stopped updating (probably has), but it certainly has stopped scrolling the news articles. Initially they scroll, but if the device is put to sleep and woken up they stop scrolling. I don't think I'm letting TaskPanel kill off the app or anything that looks like it would require to keep running. Anyone have any suggestions? I ran into this problem after upgrading my HTC Hero to 2.1, and since have had the problem on my HTC Evo (also 2.1, both stock and rooted I believe).

14. VegasOnAcid

VegasOnAcid Well-Known Member

My problems were caused by lockbot pro. Stopped running that, Genie started updating and scrolling once again.

15. galtish

galtish New Member

Thanks. I'm not running that app, I wonder if this custom ROM (Fresh .53 - 1.01b) has something baked in that is killing this?