geo-tagging

Last Updated:

1. admob

admob Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

can some one give me an idiots guide as to how geo taging works, only once have i had the option of 'show on map' the location of a piccy, i have everything turned on that can be turned on.. cheers

Advertisement
  2. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

Geo-tagging means the GPS in your phone is used to acquire your location and then insert those coordinates into the properties of something like a photo. Then if someone (or yourself) wants to know where the photo was taken, they take the coords and put them into Google Maps or another app that supports GPS coordinates.

Now you have to remember that most phones or cameras do not support geo-tagging, so you won't have the option very often when browsing websites or photos online as many others simply can't post tagged photos.

3. partridge

partridge Well-Known Member

Picasa will show you a map of where the photo was taken.

What I think you mean is that not every photo gets tagged? You're right but I think this is down to how quickly the camera can establish a GPS connection and include the data with the photo. If you're indoors it will base the location on cell phone masts (so not very accurate).
    If you are using Picasa then you can manually adjust, or add, a location to a photo.

4. admob

admob Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Cheers guys , I didn't make myself very clear, I kno wot geo tagging is, I just cudnt make it work on my phone , just once did It it give me the option to view locations on a Google map. Anyways, after your good afvice, I installed been there. And straight away, all my tagged photos appeared on the map, so all sorted.

5. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

It would help to have clear statements versus something like "couldn't make it work on my phone". I know you got it sorted out but next time you might want to specify whether the photos aren't getting tagged, you're not able to view the tag locations, or whatever other specific problem(s) you're having.

6. chilvenlee

chilvenlee New Member