• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

geocaching

I've been doing it for a little while. Not a ton of finds, but I'm more after the fun than the numbers. Spent over hours one time to find 14 caches, had a blast! By the way, there are apps for Android for geocaching. There's the official Geocaching app, but most people seem to thing the c:geo app is better and easier to use... and free! You can find me on geocaching.com under the same name as here. Happy hunting!

Upvote 0
Hi Hrethgir.
Yes lots of apps for geocaching. Im surprised just how many caches there are in my vicinity about 30 to 40 in 1 to 3 miles from my home... this will keep me busy all winter.

It's amazing, isn't it? Before I started geocaching, I thought there were just a few here and there. But I look at the map around where I live, and there are 500+ within about a 10 mile radias of my place! Most of them are lamppost micros and urban micros that don't interest me much, but other people love them, so it's all good. I like hitting the logging roads out away from town and hiking into the woods to find caches away from everything, much more of an adventure to me that way! Still haven't done any caching with my DX, and did very little with my iPhone. Used to use my DeLorme PN-40 for caching mainly. Gotta upload the caches, but it does paperless caching (all notes and hints included), and the batteries last way longer than my phone would! Plus, good to have the phone ready for emergencies. But being able to cache with the phone is great for "Hey, lets see if there's a chache here" moments, gotta love that!

Upvote 0
geocaching.com is a real stick in the mud when you consider the sport and it's origins. It used to be that anyone could pick up a GPS and go geocaching. A few websites sprung up to facilitate the distribution of the cache coordinates. Most of them died and to my knowledge there are only two left.
geocaching.com is trying to become a monopoly on the mater by essentially outlawing anything to access their database without getting money for it. In and of itself I have no issues with this as they need a way to sustain the site. What I do have a huge beef with is that the caches they are selling information to aren't theirs. The sport is by cachers for cachers. Geocaching.com has attorneys giving them advice on how far they can go to copyright the sport. If you hang out on the forums enough you definitely get a sense of this. I asked geocaching.com if they would pay me to plant and maintain a cache or more. My idea was that for every hit I get $.25 OR I could get a free premium membership. I was essentially laughed at as I expected but it shoes how one sided this relationship is.

Anyway back on topic, you won't find c:geo mentioned in the forums as the references are removed with extreme prejudice but it's more in line with the original theme of the sport; by cachers for cachers and that's reason enough for me to use it.

Upvote 0
Hi Crude. Thanks for the info I did not know c:geo existed but since reading your post i have downloaded it and i will be using it this week I will let you know how i get on with it. I do not understand why this forum would remove all reference to it as its listed in Market so must be 100% legal. again thanks Colin

Upvote 0
Hi Crude. Thanks for the info I did not know c:geo existed but since reading your post i have downloaded it and i will be using it this week I will let you know how i get on with it. I do not understand why this forum would remove all reference to it as its listed in Market so must be 100% legal. again thanks Colin

It's not this forum that removes references to c:geo, it's the geocahing.com forum, they don't want people using a free app that works better than their pay app. Oh, and I mentioned c:geo in my first resonse, guess you missed it in there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones