1. Tablet future looks bright! Read more about: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    New Forums: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    Dismiss Notice

Geocaching

Last Updated:

1. Phoenix1974

Phoenix1974 Well-Known Member

So, my hubby and 8 year old son have a new hobby, geocaching. Anyone else into this and can you recommend any good apps? I'm a bit of a geocache widow at the moment although would like to go with them, just too cold for me at the moment.

Advertisement
  2. pbf98

pbf98 Well-Known Member Contributor

I attempt my best at it haha but still have yet to find one! There is a pretty good app out there thats free. Its called c:geo it has a live map that shows all known locations of caches around you. And you can click on the cache and it will bring up a menu where you can look at the description and hints, as well as notes from other people that have found it.

The map placement isn't always the most accurate on the caches and sometimes you will notice that they have moved, but in all reality they haven't. The compass works as long as your gps has located where you actually are.

Happy Caching!
    AntimonyER and Phoenix1974 like this.
  3. Benjie

Benjie Well-Known Member

We will second that.
  4. Phoenix1974

Well, we've found 6 out of 10 so far so doing pretty well, i even found one today in the most obvious place but after we'd spent half an hour walking round a grave yard lol
  5. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

my bro and his son does it... i have been meaning to get started with my 9 yr old daughter. looks like this spring is going to be the start.
  6. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

I have done it once and my kids loved it. Need to start doing it more. A lot of caches at the college nearby too.
  7. Phoenix1974

It definately needs to be warmer for me to be searching for hours on end, the weather doesn't bother my hubby and son but i like to be toasty and dry lol. Already been looking at fitting in a couple on a daily basis on the school run lol
  8. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

I'm currently 1 shy of 250 caches found. Doit2it's profile

Most have been found in the Middle TN area where I live, but I've found caches while on vacation in Canada, NYC and the Smokies. I used to use a Magellan Explorist 210, but most of the time I use my Galaxy S3 nowdays. I also used to use a Handspring Visor PDA with a GPS antenna. I've used my tablet also while in Canada, but I don't recommend it.
  9. Lordvincent 90

Lordvincent 90 ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ Guide

10. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

It's something that's interested me for a while. But there's only like one geocache within a 1000km radius, which is apparently at the Great Wall. LOL.
  11. Lordvincent 90

Lordvincent 90 ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ Guide

Well I travel the whole US for work, so I have access to 1000s of them :)
  12. bjacks12

bjacks12 Well-Known Member

I geocached 10 years ago. Really enjoyed it, I just sort of moved on to other hobbies. Reading this thread made me go see if my account was still alive, and it was. I might have to go dig up my old Garmin and get to it.
  13. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

lol :D

I did a bit a few years back, to help introduce youngsters to reading maps and understanding how they relate to actual terrain. Back then you required a handheld GPS - modern smartphones make it much more accessible to everyone.

That's a poor excuse, soldier! Get out there and create some more! :D
  14. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid. Guide

A friend of mine is into geocaching, we will get together once in a while to look for them.

It's kind of fun :)