geotagging issueSupport

Last Updated:

1. jdb

jdb Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Prior to today, when I would map the lacation of where a photo was taken, google maps would map it very acurately, now it does it very generically. I.e., I will take a pic @ my work which is over 160,000 acres and it would map where the photo was taken to almost the nearest tree...now it ignores the exact coordinates and maps just goes to my whole work (military base)....sort of like it finds the base and thinks it is good enough, rathwr than giving me the exact location. This did work well as a crude gps unit...untill now.
    Any thoughts on what happened or how to fix this?

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Well, this may or may not be related - Google Maps were absolutely horrible in terms of reliability in my area, but very very recently, the 14 updates that I submitted (4 of which were flat out refused b/c
    - they tried telling me that they could not change the name of a couple of surface streets they had misnamed...) all of a sudden 9 out of the 10 they said they would fix they fixed. It was nice, this afternoon, for the first time since I have had the DROID, to set my home as my destination and to get accurate directions and when I arrived my view changed from a bird's eye view to a street view of the front of my house....Very nice....

The reason I bring this up is that, up until the huge Map update, I suppose that Google had not actually tagged your area as a Military Base, and thus the GPS would get very very specific - however, I am guessing (stabbing in the dark?) that now that Google has your base appropriately marked, that they may, in fact, be disallowing precise GPS coordinates to be used in non Military / Government / Emergency situations....

Like I said, it is just a thought - I may be way off base here (pun intended :p) but then again, *I* sure as hell would not want classified info such as secret room / building locations to be easily taggable on a Military base, yanno?

3. jdb

jdb Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I hear what you are saying, but I highly doubt it has anything to do with it being a military installation. You can zoom in almost as close on google earth, and also the geotagging issue happens all over now as well.
    I tried it on other pics I have taken as well. What the program wants to do now is find an exact address or place location. Before if I pulled up pic from my house, maps would show a blue dot at/very near my house, now it zooms to my house but rather than the blue dot I get the address call out. So, at my work rather than getting the blue dot very near the exact spot I was at, I get the call out of the name of the military istallation pointing to a generic/random spot on the installation.
    This just started happening sometime in the last week, and I have not updated or recieved any ota's i that time. Maybe I tweaked a setting in maps or gallery, but I have looked around in both those settings and have found nothing...any thoughts? anybody?....Any third party apps that work as a half way decent gps (geotagging)?

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Ahh, I see. Then you're correct - it is either a change, or else it is a setting that got tweaked either by you or else some app that you installed.

I don't suppose you're willing to perform a factory reset to see if it works like it is supposed to? :p (j/k)