Geotagging photos and Picasa upload

Last Updated:

1. nasarius

nasarius Member This Topic's Starter

If I take a photo and email it to myself or copy it over USB, then upload it to Picasa via the PC, the latitude + longitude show up just fine.

But if I instead upload it directly to Picasa from the Media Gallery app, the GPS coordinates are inexplicably removed. The files are otherwise identical...same file size, same resolution. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a way to fix it?

Advertisement
  2. Nepherim

Nepherim Well-Known Member

I think this is a problem with Picasa. There is an issue. Logged in the Picasa bug list if I'm remembering right. If I find the issue number. I'll post.

3. nasarius

nasarius Member This Topic's Starter

A quick search of the Android issue tracker turns up all sorts of fun open issues with EXIF data and Picasa. Yikes. Well, as long as it's not something I'm doing wrong.

Hm, maybe I'll start poking around the source and see how they managed to screw up what should be a simple upload.

4. Nepherim

Nepherim Well-Known Member

Here's the bug I was talking about. The actual bug is unrelated to your problem, but read comments from around 27-Aug-2009, which describe the problem you're having. Turns out it's an Android issue rather than Picasa -- at least from reading this.

5. Spaz007

Spaz007 Active Member

Go to settings and enable "Automatically map photos if they contain location data." Fixed my issue.

6. ollyshaw

ollyshaw Member

Ditto! Worked for me too.

Beforehand the geotags were lost on any upload form (email, ie, android) apart from direct from picasa.