Geotagging photos

Last Updated:

1. big_z

big_z Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I can't seem to get my phone to geotag photos. I've gone to camera-settings-geo-tag photos and enabled tagging. The pictures I took were outside. When I started the camera app outside the little GPS satellite icon came up in the left corner, did the "scanning" animation for like 3-5 seconds, then switched to a target reticule (also, when I quick switched, Google Maps picked up my location perfectly). I then took pictures but they didn't seem to have any location metadata in them.

Has anybody successfully geotagged their photos?

Advertisement
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Active Member

I have experienced the exact same thing. I'm assuming that we must view the "Geotag" through another App. (Most likely Google Maps), but I have no idea as of yet, on how to combine the two on the Hero.

EDIT: I found one method of mapping your Geotagged Photographs. I created a "Flickr" Account, and by uploading the photographs there, you can view the detailed GPS Coordinates, as well as place the individual photographs upon the map at the aforementioned given position(s). When you open up the Photograph into its large mode on "Flickr", look towards the lower right, and click on: "More Properties", and that will give you the coordinates. Click on "Add to your map" to plot it on the embedded "NAVTEQ" map. Mine took a while to properly display (I had to just leave "Flickr" alone for a while, then once I came back, it began working fine), but it works (It even got the community correct (location wise), which is something that most Address finders fail to properly do!).

3. Frantic Ferret

Frantic Ferret Well-Known Member

My images have the information. If you're using Photoshop they are in the Advanced under EXIF Properties. The details in the Album app displays very little information.