• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

German exchange student phone help...

Not sure where to post this but...does Vodaphone Germany use GSM or CDMA or both.
I have a pushy exchange student who is not happy with the free phone and free (Verizon) service I'm letting her use. She wants to buy an LG ENV touch and use it here but is insisting it will work when she goes home. I'm thinking it's not going to.
Also, if she gets it on ebay and activates on an existing contract will she haved to pay the $10 data plan? I'd call Verizon but they won't know. LOL
She does have a phone and could get a sim card but she wants a new phone "like the American girls have"...EnV etc.

Not sure where to post this but...does Vodaphone Germany use GSM or CDMA or both.
I have a pushy exchange student who is not happy with the free phone and free (Verizon) service I'm letting her use. She wants to buy an LG ENV touch and use it here but is insisting it will work when she goes home. I'm thinking it's not going to.
Also, if she gets it on ebay and activates on an existing contract will she haved to pay the $10 data plan? I'd call Verizon but they won't know. LOL
She does have a phone and could get a sim card but she wants a new phone "like the American girls have"...EnV etc.

Vodafone in Germany is GSM!
No Verizon CDMA phone will work there.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I knew that but she would not listen :)
After a trip to 2 Verizon stores, T-Mobile and AT&T she has decided that it may be best to use the free phone I gave her.
I did figure out why she was convinced she could use a Verizon phone on Vodaphone though. Another exchange student went to Verizon a few days ago and was sold a Devour as a world phone. The placards in the store are confusing, they show all the Android phones as working in 40 countries w/a globe picture and the true world phones (BB) show almost the same globe but do say "world phone", the print is so tiny you can barely read it. The rep must have not known the difference. So this girl now has to return that and start over. But that's why my (sister's) exchange student would not listen to me...her friend went to Verizon and got a phone that would (not) work in Germany. That's why I never trust them...they really don't know anything about what they sell!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones