Gesture search / contact memory problemSupport

Last Updated:

1. JudithPrietht

JudithPrietht Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just installed gesture search after seeing it in the favourite apps thread, seems like a great idea

it's thrown up a problem to do with contacts though... apologies if this gets a little rambling...

*deep breath*

So it took me ages to merge all of my facebook and google contacts initially, due to my never having organised my e-mail/sim contacts in any meaningful way. This means that although I've now pruned it down, a number of my contacts have multiple linked google accounts due to all of the different e-mail addresses used over the years.

i tried the gesture search to locate my friend Jess - this gave 2 results, one under 'jess' and one under 'jessica'. the 'jess' contact only had her number, the 'jessica' had her e-mail and so on... I copied her number into this contact, unlinked the two, then deleted 'jess' from my contacts list.

now, in theory, my phone only has one google entry for her - 'jessica', with her number, e-mails, birthday, link to facebook account and so on.

BUT - when i search for her using the gesture search, it still returns both results. I've cleared the gesture search history in case it was just auto-filling from a cache, but the result still comes up, so it seems that the problem 'jess' contact hasn't actually been deleted from my phone...

not a massive problem yet, but hers was literally the first contact i searched for... i've got other contacts with far more linked accounts, which could make the gesture search more of a headache than it's worth... which would be a shame as i love it in theory.

if anyone understood what the hell i was just gibbering on about, do they have any tips?

cheers dears

Advertisement
  2. rtb35

rtb35 Well-Known Member

In gesture search click Menu > Refresh index that should fix it.

JudithPrietht likes this.
  3. JudithPrietht

wonderful - simple answer to convoluted question!

fixed, cheers!

4. rtb35

rtb35 Well-Known Member

Your welcome :)

5. JudithPrietht

d'oh, spoke too soon...

so it's doing the same thing with another contact. 'Judith' (capital letter) has one contact entry on my phone; a google account linked to her facebook. That's it. No duplicate contacts at all.

searching for her using gesture brings up 'Judith' (full contact) and also 'judith' (lower case, just her number). There's no 'judith' contact on my phone... where is it finding this? Making me think that when I've gone through deleting duplicate contacts it's actually left them on the phone, or the sd card or... somewhere!

It's driving me crazy!

On a sidenote - i've set my 'people' app to display only google contacts, but the 'search people' app also includes facebook contacts - is there a way to keep the facebook contacts out of it?

Sorry for all the boring questions about minutiae - very new to Android/Desire!

6. JudithPrietht

*bump*

anyone?

this is kind of rendering Gesture Search useless, as I have no idea what list it's *actually* searching... in addition to the 'Judith/judith' problem above, there are other contacts it just doesn't find at all...