• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Get a new phone now, or wait for next year's upgrades?

pb7090

Lurker
Nov 27, 2012
As stated in the title, I am looking to get a new (android of course) phone from at&t. I'm considering the Galaxy SIII, One X+, Optimus G, and Nexus 4. But onto my actual question, should I wait and see what phones come out next year? My current phone is 2 years old and survived a fall in a pool but is beginning to run slowly. I can wait till next year but I'm wondering if it is worth it.

tl;dr What new phones will be hitting the market soon and are they worth waiting for?

Hi pb7090, and welcome to AF (a day late, I know!) :)

Skins you can largely replace with a custom launcher.

The only thing you can do if updates are too slow is root and use custom ROMs. How well this works depends on how much developer interest there is in the device - I suspect that there might be a decent following for the Optimus G, given time, but that's only a guess, and I'd advise doing some research (visit the device's All Things Root forum here, for example). You should know that rooting invalidates your warranty, and not everybody wants to do it.

Reactions: pb7090
Upvote 0
In my opinion, the top tier phones on the market right now are going to be great phones for another 2-3 years. THey are fast enough and durable enough to last that long. Will they still be getting updates in 3 years? probably not but I don't know if that is an issue for you or not. If you're truly concerned with updates, grab the nexus 4. Assuming the glass holds up you could make it well over the 2 years with that phone (then again you won't need to upgrade to get it, so you can pocket your upgrade, just in case)

Upvote 0
it doesnt matter when or what you buy, its always going to have some problems with it. You also need to evaluate whether or not the problem being brought up is actually a problem for you!

For example, people continue to gripe about the lack of LTE on the N4. While this is certainly a problem for some people, I have pre-paid tmobile (or straight talk att, depending on where I am that month) and I rarely do anything on my phone that requires more than 5mbps download. I don't use, nor do I need LTE. That is not a problem for me.

Reactions: pb7090
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones