• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Get Better battery life, Vid

I didnt even watch the vid... anything that can help throttle the cpu is worth a try to improve battery life... droid has great battery life but not the Nexus so it needs a bit of help ;-)

I also use Timerrific to help with battery life per usage patterns at different times of day.

Try JuiceDefender, or setting profiles. They are what I use. I'm not sure how well they work, but it must do something. Yes, granted the Droid probably has better battery life, but I unplugged 9 hours ago. On the phone for 30 mins, plus time in the market, some on the internet but not much, auto brightness, and trying out a couple of apps, im at 80%.

Battery Use:
Voice Calls: 54%
Phone Idle: 12%
Display: 11%
Cell Standby: 9%
Android System: 4%
Bluetooth: 3%
Android OS: 2%
Beautiful Widgets: 2%

Upvote 0
I'm curious tho.. I have to root to get setcpu and the apps that REALLY make a difference in battery life. But is just rooting the phone enough? Will the apps have the rights they need to work or do I also need to flash some stuff?
Because I'm new to android and I don't want to be changeing it all this quickly. But I DO want the batterylife of setcpu!

Upvote 0
Probably a dumb question, but is it totally necessary that your N1 be rooted to do this? It seems as though all of the apps are in The Market when I check...and my phone isn't rooted.

So if I install these apps, and I'm not rooted, why don't the steps from the video work???

Can someone explain please. Thanks so much!

Upvote 0
Today, I had mine charged at 100%

I unplugged it.

After 3 hours I was down to 50%

Battery usage showed Beautiful Widgets used 67% because for GPS running for 2.6 hrs.

No wonder I have been getting horrible battery life lately.

That's because the "beautiful smaller home" widget uses My Location services to get local weather reports. Click on the weather part of the widget then untick "Geolocation", and make sure you put your correct city in for your default city.

You can configure the My Location services (push the home soft button, then the soft menu button, then Settings, then Location & security), so that it users wireless or GPS to determine your location. Having GPS enabled means more accurate tracking of your location, but at the cost of battery.

Upvote 0
Probably a dumb question, but is it totally necessary that your N1 be rooted to do this? It seems as though all of the apps are in The Market when I check...and my phone isn't rooted.

So if I install these apps, and I'm not rooted, why don't the steps from the video work???

Can someone explain please. Thanks so much!

The apps which require root will install from the market fine, but they will not run. When you go to run it, it will tell you that must run it on a rooted device.

Honestly, I don''t see much difference after setting up my setcpu profiles. I have it set to use only 384 as the maximum in sleep/standby, though admittedly, I do not have much running in the background which would cause it to ever to use more than that even without setcpu.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I don''t see much difference after setting up my setcpu profiles. I have it set to use only 384 as the maximum in sleep/standby, though admittedly, I do not have much running in the background which would cause it to ever to use more than that even without setcpu.

Are you set to 'userspace' for the CPU Governor setting? (note: each profile also has its own CPU Governor setting)?

Mine was set by default to 'userspace' - and after seeing the below article, not using it anymore... apparently it doesn't work (it's supposed to let the apps decide the CPU speed...)

Android Rooted: setCPU and CPU Governance

After reading this, changed my main Governor setting to 'ondemand', along with that of the charging profile, and setting 'conservative' for the sleep, power < X% and failsafe profiles...

Upvote 0
modded my profiles a bit... figured i'd drop the charging max cpu speed a bit, since when it's charging, it's already getting a bit hot, and throttling down a bit will allow a bit quicker charging I figure... these are all just guesstimates, by no means what I'm telling anyone to use... it's just what I'm trying...

Default/Main: 998 max, 245 min (Governor: ondemand)
Charging: 806 Max, 499 Min (Governor: ondemand)
Sleep/Standby: 384 Max, 245 Min (Governor: conservative)
Power < 15%: 499 Max, 245 Min (Governor: conservative)
Failsafe (batt > 45 C): 245 Max, 245 Min (Governor: conservative)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones