get DLNA off of my phone!

Last Updated: 2013-02-09 20:48:34
  1. MrsJennyK

MrsJennyK Well-Known Member

What the heck is this DLNA thing and why is it on my phone?

I did a factory reset on my Droid 2 a few days ago and it seems there is a new app on it. If it was there before, I never noticed it and it wasn't active. It's non-deletable. It says DLNA and it's obviously some sort of data sharing thing but it's constantly telling me that it's lost connection. I opened it and looked in the settings but don't see any way to turn it off. :-/

Advertisement
  2. lightsleeper23

lightsleeper23 Well-Known Member

DLNA is the media sharing technology that allows you to stream media such as pictures, music, or movies to and from your device between it and a compatible device like a PC or Xbox or P.S.3. It's generally a good thing to have but I don't know why it would constantly be telling you it lost it's connection. It relies on a local Wi-Fi network in order to share the media, but even if you lose your Wi-Fi connection it shouldn't be saying that unless an app that uses DLNA is in the process of streaming content. Can't say what app, whether it's your local gallery and video player, a separate smartshare app, or a 3rd party app. Depends on the phone model (which I'm not familiar with) and apps you may have downloaded.
  3. MrsJennyK

It's definitely not something I downloaded. I've just been slowly adding back some of the apps I already had. Since I can't delete it I'm guessing it is part of the app package that comes with the phone, but I just don't ever remember seeing it before. It's really annoying. :-/
  4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

DLNA is part of the phone, and may just be labeled differently before, especially if you upgraded.
  5. MrsJennyK

ok, so I can't get rid of it. That's ok. I wish I could figure out how to turn it off though. It doesn't seem like it ought to just be running all the time, letting me know when it senses a connection. I can't find anything in the settings to turn it off.