Get rid of Bloatware?Support

Last Updated:

1. heathershipp

heathershipp Well-Known Member

Since the 2.1 update, I've been trying to get rid of the bloatware (i.e. moxier mail, sprint nfl...etc.) I stuck with it again? Or is there a way to get rid of it?

2. trailboy68

trailboy68 Member

That is a good question, there seems to be a lot of junk programs to me running that are messing things up. I hope if there is a way they can make the steps simple since I have never hacked a phone before.
  3. kahale

kahale Well-Known Member

yes you can. you would have to root your phone though. check out SDX-Developers Forum - Index.
  4. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

Running joey's kernel not only adds root but also offers better battery life. you can read the change logs to determine which best suits you. Removing bloatware is a great way to improve battery life by stopping unneeded programs.
  5. The111

The111 Well-Known Member

I was not aware of a custom kernel for 2.1 yet. Link?
  6. Zezozose

Zezozose Well-Known Member

7. musikat

musikat Well-Known Member

This may be a dumb question but what happens when you root, exactly? Can you root and still keep everything the same EXCEPT the factory installed files you don't want, or do you need to design everything from scratch all over again, essentially designing your own phone? I would love to get rid of some of the things slowing my phone down but I generally happy with the way most other things on it work. I don't want to mess it up.
  8. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

Everything stays the same. The advantage of running the kernel is that is is basically optimized for the phone to run better. With root you remove the systme apps you don't want and your all set. Also depending on what apps you use some may require root. It all depends on what you want to do with it.
  9. heathershipp

heathershipp Well-Known Member

I'm not rooted and I don't plan on rooting to 2.1. All I want is the bloatware gone, such as Sprint Nascar, Football, Moxier Mail, Bejeweled Demo, Messaging, MP3 store, and Voice Control. Any help will be greatly appreciated! :)
  10. Keybeeetsss

Keybeeetsss Well-Known Member

There honestly isn't any help u will be able to appreciate without rooting; Thatz the only way to get rid of what u speak of :eek:
  11. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

I think you're going to have to root it to ditch the bloatware...
    Its so easy to do once you're rooted.
  12. dntesinfrno

dntesinfrno Well-Known Member

There is an alternative way to remove stock apps/bloat without rooting but it involves ADB and can get very complicated. The best easiest way is to root and remove the apps from a shell terminal app from the phone.
  13. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

Actually the easiest way to remove apps is to root and then use the Kitchen over at SDX and apply the zip from the boot menu. It's completely point and click.
  14. cdmag

cdmag Member

I know this may be a stupid question, but will rooting my Moment provide any improvements to my Bluetooth and GPS receiver/transmitter?
  15. dntesinfrno

dntesinfrno Well-Known Member

True this is very easy, but only removes apps included with the kitchen, there are a bunch more that are safe to remove that the kitchen wont touch. There is another option that will cost a few buck, pick up root explorer in the market which can mount the /system to r/w allowing you point and click to delete apps.
  16. Jim W

Jim W Well-Known Member

All I can add to this is.........root!

I avoided it like the plague, then when I saw the Moment was not getting 2.2 in a feat of desperation I went for it, figuring the only way I would get 2.2 on this phone would be if the Hax community got it there.

So, so so so so so easy, I am ashamed I didn't do it earlier. Phone is so snappy and responsive now, it's silly. [​IMG]
  17. htcman724

htcman724 Well-Known Member

if you like the rom your are running all you need to do is use root explorer go to system apps then hit r/o and fine the programs you want to remove long press it and hit delete.