Get the max out of Desire on holiday trip

Last Updated:

1. tomvdp

tomvdp Active Member This Topic's Starter

I will be on a holiday trip (the Norwegian fjords). I will be doing things there of which I think the Desire can be useful:
    - drive from one hotel to the next
    - walks in nature
    - keep my parents up-to-date about my current location
    - collect GPS data about the walks / routes for memory & review when back home

Mobile Data will be off as this is incredibly expensive abroad. Most hotels I stay offer wifi though.

So which applications should I use ?
    Navigation: Google Navigation probably needs a mobile data connection ? Is there other software that can possibly pre-load the Norwegian road maps ?
    Walks: idem dito, any application that has pre-loaded maps of known walks in west Norway ?
    Keeping parents up-to-date: use Latitude, part of Google Maps ? But does it work with mobile data off and does it sync when on wifi at night ?
    Collect tracks: no idea! I could use the Footprints application, taking pictures here and there, but not sure how to put them on a map in the correct order to reconstruct a journey.

Any things you use the Desire for on a holiday trip that is not listed here ? Please add!

Thank you for your input!

Advertisement
  2. DCFC79

DCFC79 Well-Known Member

Cant offer any help but good luck with the trip, hope it goes well,

3. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

Somebody on the forum mentioned a free GPS app that can cache maps... I think it was called Maverick

Edit: just checked my search history and its Maverick Lite. Not tried it, looks basic but might be enough for holiday purposes.

4. tomvdp

tomvdp Active Member This Topic's Starter

For the maps I have installed RMaps, and created maps for it using google maps. It is not doing navigation (no search, no route mapping), but at least I have portable, detailed maps with me. Oh, and it can record tracks and export them!

But I will look into Maverick and see how it compares.

RMaps: RMaps - Android app on AppBrain
    Creating maps for it: Google ??????????
    and

5. mikebowe

mikebowe New Member

Anybody know how to have 2 sets of google maps ie 2 countrys loaded into maverick?

6. Adebisi

Adebisi Well-Known Member

maverick pro also looks good