Get the new HTC Desire Z or keep Motorola Milestone

Last Updated:

1. faugusztin

faugusztin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

i have a Motorola Milestone since start of March 2010, but the "support" (or better said lack of it) Motorola provides made me think about switching to HTC Desire Z. Milestone was totally unstable since the 2.1 update in April, it got fixed last week with 2.1-update1 - 192 hours uptime since that update, before it i was lucky to get at 40-50 hour mark without reboot.

What are your opinions on such switch ? I don't game on the phone at all, but i use internet apps a lot (web browsing, email, IRC). Should i switch or wait for something else ? For me a physical keyboard is a must have and Motorola "support" decided the fate of the Milestone 2 option :).

Thanks for your opinions

Advertisement
  2. Nearly

Nearly Active Member

I walked in a phone shop last week to pre-order the HD, and I walked out with an iPhone 4. :( But I have a very good reason, I've had an HTC for the last year and my Hero has only ever received one update to 2.1 which was only around 1 month ago, but through the other 9 months, I received a bug-fix build. I just didn't like the way they're handling the Android Platform and how different phones have different versions and how HTC phones are probably going to only get one major update until they'll release a new phone. I know that it's never stated they'll give us updates, but I just found myself looking at newer devices (Legend) already being made redundant and that device hasn't even received one update. On my iPhone It'll give me firmware updates for 1+ year, and it's more worth my time.

Now I see you need a keyboard, and I'll go with the Desire Z since it's a really solid built phone, but don't expect too many firmware updates as HTC don't really like pushing updates. (Maybe I'm just pissed because of having a Hero, but Legend would've made me cracked).

P.S Guess I'm not an Android user anymore, but I still love my Hero. I loved Android but I just headed in another direction because, I wanted to experience the best of both worlds.

(Not saying it's better, personal view)

3. faugusztin

On one side Motorola did provide updates for Milestone from 2.0 to 2.0.1, then to buggy 2.1, fixed 2.1 and they will give a 2.2 update @ Q4/2010. But the problem is that after that, it is end of story, no updates from anywhere.

On other side HTC maybe provides 1 or 2 updates, but then you have a community support, community ROMs. This is never going to happen with Milestone, because no one can boot a newer kernels on it, just those provided by Motorola. This is one of the reason i want to stay away from Motorola - they don't allow the community to support the phone after they stopped providing updates. I will have a 9 month old phone with 2 year warranty with no more updates at all, neither from manufacturer nor from community (as community can't do anything without keys to sign the kernel).

iPhone is not a option, it's bloody expensive without 2 year agreement, and i don't plan to sign any agreement anymore, considering we have a mobile operator which lets you pay just as much as you use (O2 Fer, 0.13

4. Nearly

Nearly Active Member

Yeah where do you live ? EDGE?
    In all honesty go with the desire Z it's just HTC is known to build really solid phones and these phones. I'm sure if you want to dive into rooting your phone will get a lot of additional updates/support for you in the future (I just didn't have the time to flash constantly and trial various roms) I'm sure you'll be happy since the videos for the Z are impressive, and the milestone is no where near comparison to the game now.

5. faugusztin

About the internet connectivity - well, it is a bit in bad shape here in Slovakia. We have 3 mobile operators :
    1) Orange - has great HSDPA coverage, but unfortunately because they are the biggest mobile operator they don't care for you if you have problems etc etc... Simply by experiences i don't want to go to them
    2) T-Mobile - they have bad HSDPA coverage, except the bigger cities all they have is EDGE and GPRS. This is my current operator, but i'm switching next year to option 3.
    3) O2 - the newest one, very good prices if we talk about my needs (25 mins, 15 SMS per month + data), their only problem is that data network with EDGE, they are starting HSDPA upgrades next year.

6. Nearly

Nearly Active Member

I would stick the the Milestone then, and then move onto o2 when 3G speeds are out, then you get great internet speeds and a whopping good device.

7. faugusztin

The 3G connectivity isn't a deciding factor FYI :). I'm with T-Mobile till May 2011, so i have HSDPA coverage where i live. And in next year May, O2 should have acceptable HSDPA coverage too.

8. Nearly

Nearly Active Member

Then change operators next year :)

9. faugusztin

Forget the operators, i don't buy phones from operators, i buy them in shops (in case of Desire Z it will be Amazon).

Edit: In the end, i decided to buy Desire Z and i will sell the Milestone when Desire Z will arrive (18-25 oct).