• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Get this or wait?

Sobe

Feb 14, 2011
Right now i have a iPhone 3g that i currently hate for its lag/slow downs, lack of video, and reception issues. I'm looking to upgrade and have had my heart set on the Atrix since it was announced at CES, but with all of these concerns about network speeds, the screen, etc im getting concerned. It seems like there are more threads voicing displeasure with this phone than those happy with it. Looking down the road i don't see much, besides the galaxy 2 and there seems to be alot of hate towards Samsung. any help?

Right now i have a iPhone 3g that i currently hate for its lag/slow downs, lack of video, and reception issues. I'm looking to upgrade and have had my heart set on the Atrix since it was announced at CES, but with all of these concerns about network speeds, the screen, etc im getting concerned. It seems like there are more threads voicing displeasure with this phone than those happy with it. Looking down the road i don't see much, besides the galaxy 2 and there seems to be alot of hate towards Samsung. any help?

Definitely go to the store and try it for yourself, everyones mileage varies. While your at the store be sure to compare the Atrix to AT&T's other offerings that are in the same price range, and see if anything else seems better for you. If not then take home a shiny new Atrix.. :D

Upvote 0
I came from an Iphone 3GS and like the Atrix so far, new platform for me so it's taking a bit to get use to. I just learned how to edit my contacts. :D

Call quality is great with the Atrix better than my Iphone so people tell me. Screen is better, switching from app to app flies.

Speeds I wouldn't be concerned with at the moment since the H+ network isn't even live yet. I'm getting the same speeds with the Atrix as I did with my Iphone.

People tear everything apart about any new phone that comes out, just need to decide for yourself.

Only 2 things I miss about the Iphone, ability to take screenshot and ease of use within the app store. It'll take me a week to get use to.

Upvote 0
I've been waiting for a year now, since my dog ate my old phone, for something like this to come out. So far I'm thrilled with it. I need AT&T, the only carrier that really works in my area, the Captivate had horrible reception in areas I'd had great reception on all other AT&T phones, so I returned it. I loved the screen, but that didn't make up for not being able to make calls driving down the interstate. Never even tried an iPhone due to reception issues. What's important to you in a phone? My priorities are one that's very fast, lagging would kill a phone for me, great reception/call quality, beautiful screen and one feels comfortable and high quality when I hold it. The Atrix is all this in my opinion. I've gotten good numbers on benchmark tests, but how it works when I'm using it is more important than actual numbers. I may like the vivid colors of the Captivate AOMLED screen a little better, but I like making calls better than seeing "not registed on network" on a beautiful screen! I've got a few more places to test reception, but so far I'm getting signal strength of aournd -70 where i was getting -105 and -111 with the Captivate. The phone feels like a quality device, not as frail as some others. I don't care about the plastic, I have a cover anyway. It's comfortable to hold and I love the fingerprint swipe! Decide what the most important things are to you and go try it out yourself. I know there will always be something else coming out, but I was not willing to wait any longer when this was so close to my ideal phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones