• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Get your MSL with Basic Flasher

lazysean

Mar 19, 2013
Just found another hidden menu / shortcut that was able to help get me my MSL/SPC code. I don't know for sure if this will work for everyone or if the Chameleon stuff only loaded after I reverted to ZV3 to try to get LTE back but it's worth a try!

Using Shortcut Master (lite) from the play store, search for "ChameleonNodeMenu". Launch it and scroll down about halfway to "DiagMSLRequest". This setting will enable or disable the phone asking for MSL when you use ##DIAG#. Just enter 0 for the value and press SET.

Now you can exit out and dial ##DIAG# and enable it without needing the MSL code.

Once it's enabled, you can connect to a pc and get your MSL with Basic Flasher as described here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2394499

I can confirm that ChameleonNodeMenu and ChameleonNodeEdit are both present on zv5 as well as DiagMSLRequest and Tethered Data (mentioned in your other post) entries. Was able to set the data to 4 to enable all hotspot options, however, setting DiagMSLRequest to 0 did not remove the prompt from the DATA menu. Was there something else you did?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It doesn't remove it from the data menu, only from the diag menu. You can then enable diag mode (dial ##3424#) which used to be blocked by an msl popup

*Then* finally you can use something like basic flasher to learn what your msl is. The "service code" prompt on ##3282# (data) we'll still be there, but now you'll know the answer :)

Reactions: bg4m3r
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones