Gettin a replacement - pls adviceGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Peter123

Peter123 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

After suffering enough of the silent bug I am getting a replacement phone knowing well that it may also have the same issue...

But I would like to ask:
    After I switch over (*228, right?), how do I erase the old phone before I send it back? For this I will have to turn back on the phone. Do I swap the battery back or can I do it using USB power sans battery?

What is the best way to back up addresses, contact and calendar and will the associated contact mugshots show up in the new phone or I will have to reinstall them?

Thanks for the advice.
    Peter

Advertisement
  2. rvpartsguy

rvpartsguy Well-Known Member

Contacts, Addresses will sync with google, I am not sure about contatc photos cuz all mine are sync'd with FB

then I would pull your SD Card iut (has all your other info and pics on it) and do a factory reset on the phone before sending it back

I am sure someone else may know more about this and give you more (or better) advice....just trying to help

3. Papadroid

Papadroid VIP Member VIP Member

Just make sure that your contacts are google contacts and not phone contacts. And you could always use an app like MyBackup to backup contacts, call logs, sms, mms and calendar.

4. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

To program the phone, you can use *22899* which performs the same process as *228* Option 1, and then *228 Option 2, but it programs without needing any input in one shot.

To factory reset the phone use:
    Menu > Settings > Privacy > Factory data reset

If it is a refurbished phone, you will use your old battery, and more than likely your SD card as well, so remove that.

Peter123 likes this.
  5. Peter123

Peter123 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If it comes with 2.1 installed do I still need to make factory reset?
    Peter

6. dressagerider

dressagerider Well-Known Member

My local verizon just traded my Eris for a motorola droid. I was having a lot of problems with the Eris and was on my second phone and going for my third when they offered to let me choose between the motorola droid or the lg ally??? (the new lg smartphone). My contacts and everything transferred very easily thru my google account. Good Luck to you!

7. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member

you might have to keep your battery door as well.

8. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

When I received my refurbished Eris, I did a factory reset just because. Basically just in case it wasn't performed after the firmware update, I don't know if it's practice for Verizon (or whoever) to do this as part of the proces, and I figured it was before I had anything configured; couldn't hurt. It seems to have much postive results. I did not need to keep my battery door, just the battery and the card.

9. porky101

porky101 Well-Known Member

Contacts and stuff like that are bound to your google account. When I got my second Eris this week(which is worse than the one i turned in, and i am going to the store tomorrow to complain) they gave me back my SD card that was in it and I think he might have given me back my bad battery...but I have no proof of that.

10. cmajpwc

cmajpwc Well-Known Member

My contact photos are not synced with Facebook, they are synced with Google. So, as long as all your contacts are Google contacts, you should be fine with contact photos.