1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Getting 2 of every message when using Google Voice

Last Updated:

1. Newton1221

Newton1221 Member This Topic's Starter

So I have a google voice account and i have it set up to send calls to my cell phone but when i recieve texts on my google voice number i get a text message on my phone and a sms through the google voice app, i dont really know what to do cuz i want to have google voice set up but i dont want to recieve two texts evertime i get a message, its really annoying, so does anyone know of a way to fix this, maybe a setting i need to change or something, aside from that its working beautifully

Advertisement
  2. SDscorch

SDscorch Well-Known Member

turn off notifications on the stock messaging app

all of the messaging apps reference the same "bin" of messages - GV, Messages, Handcent.. etc

3. dmgabe

dmgabe Well-Known Member

You can adjust your notification settings in the Google Voice website settings. Simply uncheck the SMS option to stop receiving them.

Or if you prefer. You can go to the setting menu in the Google Voice app and deselect those notifications. Either way you will only receive a single notification of new GV messages.

4. Newton1221

Newton1221 Member This Topic's Starter

thank you, both of these options work, now i just need to figure out which one i want to use lol

5. zandroid

zandroid Well-Known Member

I have SMS unchecked on the GV website settings, and in my GV settings on the phone I dont see the option to turn off the notifications.

I only want to be notified of the GV text in the GV app, not in my SMS threads.

6. karimarie

karimarie Well-Known Member

I chose the other way around, because GV's app can only refresh something like every five minutes, so there could be a delay before you know you have a new text, whereas if you have them forwarded to your phone and they go to your Messaging app, you'll get them instantly.