Getting a Droid for Christmas!!

Last Updated:

1. Shilahann

Shilahann Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I will be eligible for an early renewal tomorrow. So my husband is getting me a Droid! I am a long time TX/E2/Z22 user. This will be my first smartphone. I have been reading posts for days in anticipation but now have complete information overload! :confused:

My time will be limited as I will be getting my Droid right before Christmas. My family will expect me to spend time with them, not my new toy. What are the top "Must Do" items as I begin to set up my Droid?

Thanks and looking forward to spending lots of time here!
  2. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    Don't get overwhelmed with all of the goings-on here. Before you do or download anything, just play with it for a while and get used to the way everything works. The way I started with my apps was simple, I just went to the Market on my phone, and in every category, I looked through the Top Free apps. Downloaded the ones that I thought were useful/interesting, and found a lot of nice apps that way.

If you need more guidance, there are tons of threads (old and new) that list apps people consider to be "must-haves". Personally, I don't know if there's anything that everyone needs, but there are a lot of apps that are genuinely useful (or just really cool), such as Locale, Astro, Google Sky Map, MotoTorch LED, Missed Call, and some sort of weather program. Of course, everyone is going to feel differently, so play around and see for yourself.

While you're learning the interface of the phone, you may want to rearrange your icons and add some widgets to the screens. Long press is your friend, learn it early. Instead of just tapping the screen, hold your finger down on something (or blank space) for a second. Think of it like right clicking in Windows; it will usually give you a useful menu of options, or the ability to drag something around the screen. Look through the settings too when you get a chance, just so you can grow accustomed to how menus are laid out and where you might find certain options.

Don't ignore the family too much ;) Have fun!