Getting a MyTouch Slide soon, have some questions

1. King_Sickness

King_Sickness Member

I've been a prepaid Sidekick user for the past 3 years. Even if the Sidekick is outdated and doesn't hold a candle to smartphones, unlimited text and internet for roughly ~40 days of usage is really, really worth the money.

However, like I said, the Sidekick is really outdated now. It doesn't seem like a very good phone to do networking with. To me it just seems like a phone for children in high school; if I saw a business person out in the real world using a Sidekick I would be tempted to not take him seriously.

When I saw the MyTouch Slide it looked like the perfect phone for me. I was originally looking at the MT3G but the lack of a physical keyboard really drew me away, especially after hearing what my friends have said about the phone. I was also tempted to get a G1, but the phone is a few years old now and I would feel stupid to get into a 2 year contract and watch as the successor comes out later this year or something.

Taking this into consideration I have some questions.

1) What do you guys think of the MyTouch Slide? It doesn't have quite the computing power that I hoped my next phone would have. I'm the kind of person who uses the internet for youtube and graphically heavy websites, would the phone have trouble keeping up with this? How is the screen? Can you notice pixels? Do they have these on display in T Mobile stores in the US yet?

2) I was also considering phones like the Desire, Legend, iPhone 4, and Nexus one. the iPhone 4 is almost completely ruled out because I really don't like AT&T's service and it's waaaaayyyy too expensive. I wish Apple took a more open market approach, iPhone 4 on T Mobile would be win (for me atleast). Nexus One simply costs too much and the rates are really silly imo. I hate how they marketed the phone and have it set up to where you can only buy it online w/ these crazy rate plans. The Desire & Legend look like excellent phones, but I'm not sure when they will release and for how much.

3) Is it possible to use todays smartphones on prepaid plans? For instance, if I wanted to buy a Nexus One w/o contract and use it prepaid, how limited would I be? I would rather buy the phone outright and use it prepaid, but companies act like you HAVE to be on their network to use the simplest features. It baffles me how to this day only the Sidekick has a good prepaid set up.

I'd like to hear your responses to these questions. I'm new to the whole smartphone and android scene. I've done some research on the MyTouch Slide and I've only heard good things about it. 2.2 is rumored to come out for it soon after launch. I'm just scared that the lack of processing power will result in the phone running 2.2 very poorly. That would be the worst. I really don't want to get stuck into a two year contract; I'd love to have more freedom to buy any phone and use it prepaid, but at the same time I want to have access to ALL of the phones features.

Thanks for all the help guys! :cool::D:)

Advertisement
  2. Don Diddles

Don Diddles Active Member

Many people will tell you that it may not have as much processing power as other new phones but it is still quick and snappy. I've had it since friday and I can say it's a pretty solid phone. It's a massive upgrade from a sidekick. It has a lot of customization options. The glassy feel is also cool. The only thing I don't like so far is the numbers in the keypad. The keypad is still good, but if it had a dedicated number row it would be incredible.
  3. King_Sickness

King_Sickness Member

Yeah, but that's just a minor flaw that I would just get used to. I just hope that the computing power can hold up 6 months from now when OS 2.5 is released and it can run that software w/o blowing up.
  4. Kittyfae

Kittyfae Well-Known Member

For the phone itself I'll pass the torch onto someone who has one, since all are just options based on individual needs of owners and I am not one...yet. I'll be getting one soon, after playing with one that one of the T-Mobile "champions" have I'm pretty much sold. There is no display model of it as of now, there will be in a week or two when they officially launch the handset on the 16th.

If you buy the handset outright, you have two options. A flexpay* account, which ends up costing more but you pre-pay (I think there is a $5 fee). Then, if you get a "Even More Plus" plan, it is a no-contract plan that you can cancel any time but is post-paid.

*Flexpay is just an option of an "Even More Plus" plan.
    http://support.t-mobile.com/doc/tm22546.xml

As for 2.2 on the MyTouch Slide, 2.2 runs better than 2.1 on any hardware due to the JIT Dalvik compiler (and other things). So, if it can run 2.1 fine it will run 2.2 better.

For me physical keyboard is everything, so only other options you have on T-Mobile are the G1 and the Cliq (I think)... which are all 1st generation older handsets. The MyTouch 3g Fender LE I have right now is nice I just really like keyboards. I used a Sidekick for a fair amount before switching myself, and I miss one even with Swype.

This is all simplified/abbreviated, so there may be some small errors in what I said so if so sorry everyone and feel free to correct me! ^_^
  5. chadmd23

chadmd23 Well-Known Member

My thoughts:

The processor is fine, maybe once or twice in the week I've had it have I seen a lag, and its very short. Its a non-issue for me.

The keyboard enhancement for me would be a different size and/or color for the numbers. I still use Swype most of the time, I could do without the keyboard.

The next Android update (after 2.2) is a year away, I wouldn't concern myself about whether it will work or not. If you keep waiting for the next phone to come out, you'll never get a new phone. I use eBay to subsidize my new phone by selling my old one.

As for the N1, it is supposedly coming to stores soon though. Even though it is a 'superphone' there are many issues with it, check the forums before buying.
  6. behold_this

behold_this Well-Known Member

Not true! the tmo n1 is back up for sale on googles online store front as I write this!
  7. King_Sickness

King_Sickness Member

I heard that 2.2 would be released very soon after the MyTouch Slide released.

What does subsidizing mean? I'm new to the phone scene lol.

Here's my biggest question. If I buy a phone on a 2 year contract, and a new phone comes out that I really want, is it possible to buy the new phone, stick my SIM card in it, and be fine? Are the contracts locked to the specific phones?

Also, what if I go the flexpay route. I can switch out for different t mobile phones whenever right? Does flexpay really save a lot of money?
  8. nvillamob

nvillamob Well-Known Member

if you bought a new phone while you're still under contract, yes, you could just stick your sim card in it and you'd be good to go. The contracts w/ tmo are linked to phone #'s, not to devices.
  9. delusionaltool

delusionaltool Active Member

the processor is the same one that was in the iphone 1st gen its pretty darn quick for what it is.... There's a Quad-Band GSM/EDGE/HSPA 7.2 connectivity for voice and data, WiFi 802.11 b/g, A-GPS and Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR support, and a 600 MHz ARM processor backed by 512 MB each of RAM and ROM
  10. King_Sickness

King_Sickness Member

I went to Radio Shack today to ask some questions. I still have no idea of the point behind flexpay. You really aren't saving much money (if any at all) so whats the point of it? Just the convenience of doing whatever you want with your phone?
  11. Don Diddles

Don Diddles Active Member

Flexpay is for people whose credit isn't so good. It's for people who don't want prepaid since you pay monthly, but the payments are due earlier, and if you don't pay your bill gets cheaper every day or somethin like it.
  12. Kittyfae

Only T-Mobile themselves usually do flexpay. It is pretty pointless now, to be honest. With the Even More Plus plans, you can just stop your phone whenever you want and then pay one last bill (of a regular monthly payment pro-rated). My partner and I are on the Even More Plus family plan, and it is pretty neat considering you even pay less than an Even More plan which is contract.

Either way picked up the Slide today and I like it a lot more than my Fender. :p
  13. King_Sickness

King_Sickness Member

Yeah I looked at the Even More Plus plans and they are really neat, services like this are why I prefer T Mobile to other carriers.

On a contact after 2 years I would have spent $2150
    On Even More Plus I will have spent $1870

Saved $280. Has all of the same features and everything. In the future if I could find my desired phone on sale for cheap on Craigslist or eBay I would be saving a buttload of money.

I'm 99.9% certain now that I am getting a White MyTouch Slide, can't wait to get it so I can dive into the community with you guys!:cool:

One last thing, does anyone know how the buy 1 smartphone get 1 free deal is working? Is this if you buy the phone outright, or under a contact, or what? I'd love to get my father into the whole smartphone/Android madness, it would really help him stay on top of things better.
  14. Kittyfae

It is with a 2-year contract, on the same account. Otherwise would have got one for me too. :p
  15. jonderrick

jonderrick New Member

Well I have the myTouch 3g Slide and I was trying to see if there was any kinda way I could teather my computer's internet connection to my mytouch 3g slide because mine is unlocked to at&t on the edge network.
  16. spyderman

spyderman Well-Known Member

1) What do you guys think of the MyTouch Slide? It doesn't have quite the computing power that I hoped my next phone would have. I'm the kind of person who uses the internet for youtube and graphically heavy websites, would the phone have trouble keeping up with this? How is the screen? Can you notice pixels? Do they have these on display in T Mobile stores in the US yet?

2) I was also considering phones like the Desire, Legend, iPhone 4, and Nexus one. the iPhone 4 is almost completely ruled out because I really don't like AT&T's service and it's waaaaayyyy too expensive. I wish Apple took a more open market approach, iPhone 4 on T Mobile would be win (for me atleast). Nexus One simply costs too much and the rates are really silly imo. I hate how they marketed the phone and have it set up to where you can only buy it online w/ these crazy rate plans. The Desire & Legend look like excellent phones, but I'm not sure when they will release and for how much.

3) Is it possible to use todays smartphones on prepaid plans? For instance, if I wanted to buy a Nexus One w/o contract and use it prepaid, how limited would I be? I would rather buy the phone outright and use it prepaid, but companies act like you HAVE to be on their network to use the simplest features. It baffles me how to this day only the Sidekick has a good prepaid set up.

Response to #1:

Its an ok phone.. Works pretty good compared to others... I have heard that rooting makes it quicker.

#2: I would recommend getting an HD2 and loading a custom ROM on it... You can get an HD2 for under $200 and it will BLOW the socks off the Slide. PM for help on loading Android on the HD2... Yes, I know it runs Windows 6.5... I have one right now and it's 10X better than the Slide.

#3: I am running Simple Mobile on my phones... Its essentially TMO on a prepaid plan.. UNlimited phone, text and Web for $60 all in... I heard that the web is not actually 100% unlimited.. i think they cap at 1GB or something but still a good deal. I have been using for 10 months now with all kinds of phones (cliq, behold 2, my touch slide and now the HD2) and they have been working great... I get 3MB+ download speeds...

Hope this helps.