Getting a smartphone with voice & data, then cancelling data? (Rogers)

1. Voltex

Voltex Member

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions.....

Let's say I want to buy an HTC EVO 3D from Best Buy. The phone is $0 with a 3 year voice & data contract.

Is the Data Early Cancellation Fee still $100?

Can I cancel the data as soon as I buy the phone?

If I pay the $100 to cancel the data, will I still be able to have the phone for $0 and with just the voice plan?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Voltex

Voltex Member

BUMP

Some help would be appreciated.....
  3. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

Just buy the phone without contract. Even better if the phone is unbranded and unlocked.
  4. Voltex

Voltex Member

If you do the math, you'll see that it costs alot more to buy the phone without a contract (over 3 years). Also, I'm not dropping $500+ on a phone.
  5. vikingisson

you're the one that wants a smart phone without a data plan. Do the math, it costs a hell of a lot less paying for just voice than it does for voice + data. With the contracts you are limited in which plans to choose. Without you pick what is right which is often cheaper. It is nearly always cheaper to pay $500 and never have a contract.

Bottom line is that nobody is going to give you a $500 smart phone for nothing while you pay only for a cheapo voice plan. They do the math too.

The phone costs $500. Or a hell of a lot more if you lock yourself in to the subsidy plan with the bogus $0. It ain't $0.
  6. Voltex

Voltex Member

$0 HTC EVO 3D with voice and data (paying for data cancellation, according to Rogers, max DECF is $100 and many people have told me you can still keep the phone for the subsidized price):

$32.35/month x 36 months = $1164.60
    Data Early Cancellation Fee = $100
    TOTAL = $1264.60

Buying a smartphone without a contract:

HTC EVO 3D = $549.99
    $32.35/month x 36 months = $1164.60
    TOTAL = $1714.59

Please let me know if I'm wrong. I'm not here to challenge you or anything.....
  7. vikingisson

I'm not going to go over the math. I'm not trying to cancel a contract either so the math is irrelevant. I'm basing my math on not having a contract at all. But if you intend to have a smart phone without a data plan then you have to buy it outside of the contract.
  8. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

Why don't you go with Wind or Mobilicity?