• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root getting an error message about "unable to download"

congaman59

Jan 29, 2011
near ATL
I have a Galaxy S3 on sprint SPH-L710. Today I am getting a message about the inability of the phone to download a "system update" I don't know why I am getting this but when I tap on the error it takes me to the play store in app info.. the message says it needs 58.1 Mb to download. I am adding a screenshot of the error message. I'm rooted to 4.4.2
Screenshot_2015-08-28-18-14-06.png

Okay but why is the update coming from the app store instead of samsung or sprint?

Im not sure why it is saying its coming from the play store. The actual update is coming from Sprint and Samsung and Google. Oh try booting into recovery and wiping the cache partition that may fix your insuffient storage space error. All system updates download into the cache directory and too much stored cache could cause it not to download.

Last edited:
Reactions: mydian
Upvote 0
Im not sure why it is saying its coming from the play store. The actual update is coming from Sprint and Samsung and Google. Oh try booting into recovery and wiping the cache partition that may fix your insuffient storage space error. All system updates download into the cache directory and too much stored cache could cause it not to download.
I wonder if this problem could be caused because I deleted some of the Samsung bloatware? Would there be one of those apps that has s0me bearing on this problem?

Upvote 0

congaman59
I have 308 mb of internal storage open

Upvote 0
If you deleted stuff and modified the stock rom the update probably won't install anyway. Your best bet is using Odin and flashing stock then taking the OTA.

Never take an OTA on a rooted phone. While some people might get lucky it's a good way to brick your phone.[/QUOTE
That's what I thought. So now I have to unroot the phone and reroot it. Here is the thing Samsung is going to put out these updates on a monthly basis. There is no way people can on and reroot their phone every month.

Upvote 0
I guess what I need to know is can I update the phone without factory reset and without loosing root? If so how would I do that?
Nope. Just flash the newest .tar, then re root. Cwm recovery is junk. I would flash nj2 .tar in odin (newest update). Then just use odin to flash twrp recovery. Updated and rooted.
And did you say you only have 300 MB of internal storage left? Living pretty close to the bone. Things may stop working, and saying out of storage. 300 MB is nothing, its a 16 gb phone. I always keep at least 5 or 6 GB free. Is you phone running slow and glitchy with the entire internal memory full?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nope. Just flash the newest .tar, then re root. Cwm recovery is junk. I would flash nj2 .tar in odin (newest update). Then just use odin to flash twrp recovery. Updated and rooted.
And did you say you only have 300 MB of internal storage left? Living pretty close to the bone. Things may stop working, and saying out of storage. 300 MB is nothing, its a 16 gb phone. I always keep at least 5 or 6 GB free. Is you phone running slow and glitchy with the entire internal memory full?
I'm not familiar with nj2. oh I have rom manager on the phone, just the free one. I think $5.99 is pretty steep for an app. I'm sure it makes a difference in what order I do these things, right? So I download the latest Oden and ...
I deleted some things so mow I have 4.37GB unused on the internal storage. I only have problems when I try to use 2 apps at a time occasionally I really don't have anything else I can move or delete to make more room. I have one more question. How much space do apps that are on the xd card take up on the internal storage? I have 37 apps on the xd card.

Upvote 0
I'm not familiar with nj2. oh I have rom manager on the phone, just the free one. I think $5.99 is pretty steep for an app. I'm sure it makes a difference in what order I do these things, right? So I download the latest Oden and ...
I deleted some things so mow I have 4.37GB unused on the internal storage. I only have problems when I try to use 2 apps at a time occasionally I really don't have anything else I can move or delete to make more room. I have one more question. How much space do apps that are on the xd card take up on the internal storage? I have 37 apps on the xd card.
Rom manager and cwm recovery are pretty out dated. Most are using twrp recovery now. As for how much space apps on external storage use on internal, depends on the app.
4 GB is a decent amount of space.
If you want to update without wiping, you can. You said you were on nd8. Just use odin to flash the stock nd8 .tar without wiping. Then just take the ota update. Then use odin to install twrp recovery. Twrp will ask if you want root, just swipe yes. Then open SuperSU and update binaries.

Reactions: mydian
Upvote 0
Rom manager and cwm recovery are pretty out dated. Most are using twrp recovery now. As for how much space apps on external storage use on internal, depends on the app.
4 GB is a decent amount of space.
If you want to update without wiping, you can. You said you were on nd8. Just use odin I found a page that has Odin 10Odin10.png . I'm assuming that would be ok to use. to flash the stock nd8 .tar without wiping Are these instructions and download okay to use?:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2755793. Then just take the ota update. Then use odin to install twrp recovery I went to Twerpme.com and found this file to be the latest one listed for my device twrp-2.8.7.0-d2spr.img.tar 8.5M. Twrp will ask if you want root, just swipe yes. Then open SuperSU I alreadty have Super SU on the phone. Will I have to download it again?and update binaries.
I also want to thank you for your great information and patience. I can take a pc apart and back together in the dark, but when it comes to Android There are so many choices of roms and kernels to choose from it gets confusing. It's great to have someone who knows what they are doing point the way!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I also want to thank you for your great information and patience. I can take a pc apart and back together in the dark, but when it comes to Android There are so many choices of roms and kernels to choose from it gets confusing. It's great to have someone who knows what they are doing point the way!
If you already have SuperSU, you will just have to open it and update binaries. Also that is the correct twrp.

Upvote 0
After I got this info back in early September, I had a lot going on and never got to Flash my phone. I need to see if the ND8 at this link is the one I should flash? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2738533
I'm having trouble finding a download for the correct TWRP recovery. for sprint samsung s3 SPH-L710 Kit-kat 4.4.2. I'd appreciate some info on where to find the right file.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones