• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Getting an error when running the android "Hello World" tutorial

pransome

Lurker
Dec 30, 2009
I have followed the instructions for the "Hello World" tutorial at
Hello, World | Android Developers
It all builds as expected, but when I run the application I get ...

[2009-12-30 14:26:09 - Android Hello World]Waiting for HOME
('android.process.acore') to be launched...
[2009-12-30 14:26:11 - Emulator]
[2009-12-30 14:26:11 - Emulator]This application has requested the
Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
[2009-12-30 14:26:11 - Emulator]Please contact the application's
support team for more information.
[2009-12-30 14:26:11 - Android Hello World]emulator-5554 disconnected!
Cancelling 'rnt.android.learning.hello activity launch'!

I am using the Eclipse IDE with the ADT plugin, etc.
I am doing this on a laptop running MS Windows XP Professional OS

I have done some google searches on this problem and haven't found a
solution for my particular circumstances.
Can anyone suggest what might be going on?

Thanks

I have a problem when running the "Hello, World" tutorial as well...

I get this
android2.png

or this
android1.png

When I should get this
android3.png

I am getting really frustrated... Help?

Upvote 0
Run the Avd manager from eclipse. Its an icon on the tool bar, or you can get at it from a drop down menu (window maybe? I'm on my phone so I can't check).

After the avd manager is running create a virtual machine that matches the sdk level of your application.

Select the vm and then hit the start button. Wait for the vm to fully load before continuing. Once its loaded switch back to eclipse and run your app.

Reactions: Oaff
Upvote 0
how long are you waiting?

The emulator can take quite a long time to boot up. Especially on older hardware.

The other solution is to run adb logcat during the emulator boot process to see how its progressing and if its had a fatal error.

You may want to delete that AVD and recreate a new one.

Upvote 0
>>The other solution is to run adb logcat during the emulator boot process to see how its progressing and if its had a fatal error.

My problem was not waiting long enough for the emulator to start up. Watching the adb logcat showed that stuff was happening in there, I just needed to be a little more patient.:eek:

In my case I started the emulator from the Eclise Android SDK and AVD manager, then when it was loaded I ran the hello world app.

Upvote 0
Been getting my Droid to work with Eclipse on Ubuntu this weekend

I've tried using the emulator, but unfortunately it takes FOREVER to come up, like 6 hours

fortunately I can get it to upload and run directly onto my phone, so it's not really a problem.

The funny part is that the phone doesn't show up under file manager like a regular USB device
$ ./adb devices
List of devices attached
040372410100F011 device
$ lsusb
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 22b8:41db Motorola PCS
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,

My first post on behalf of my 10 year old son: He too is getting the 'emulator-5554 disconnected! Cancelling' error after following the Eclipse/SDK/Android installation on XP to the letter.

What is appararent to me is that the Eclipse/SDK/Android installation has not been fully tested before release to the public: this is unacceptable in my view. Its like running buggy Slackware Linux from the 1990s! Has Google really invested so much in something that cannot even run 'Hello World!' in Eclipse!??

Can someone please advise how to fix this error permanantly before my son gives up on Android before he has even started? Sorry to sound so frustrated but you should see how disappointed he is after spending 5 hours trying to get it to work!!

Upvote 0
okay I am new to this.. but it did take me a while to figure.
first, the AVD (Virtual device) does takes quite a while to boot up.
during bootup, all you see is an android logo/world (Depending on the API you are using).

But with API 8, following the hello world guide.
It took the AVD about 5min on my machine to bootup.
then you can see the hello world demo working.

Good luck

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones