• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

getting an unlocked phone

miltk

Nov 26, 2009
1...will it be devoid of all the verizon bloatware? if so would i encounter any particular problems or lacking of amenities that are verizon specific?

2...would i still get the updates from verizon or will i have to look somewhere else for updates (motorola maybe)?

any issues whatsoever?

thx

hahaha...today became one of the confusing days ever.
i just got off the chatline with motorola and i am MORE confused than ever.

first of all, i think she was confused, and maybe you're not reading me clearly either - she thought i wanted to use an unlocked maxx for ANOTHER CARRIER. i don't. i want to use it on verizon - i am a verizon customer. the phone is merely a "factory unlocked" maxx that i will use on verizon

Upvote 0
1...will it be devoid of all the verizon bloatware? if so would i encounter any particular problems or lacking of amenities that are verizon specific?

2...would i still get the updates from verizon or will i have to look somewhere else for updates (motorola maybe)?

any issues whatsoever?

thx

As far as I know, the only "unlocked" phones you can use on Verizon are VZN specific Developer Edition phones. I have the Motorola Moto X, but I think Samsung and HTC may also have DE phones for VZN.

The Moto X DE does still have the basic VZN apps, My Verizon, Mobile Hotspot, VZ Navigator, ringtones, voicemail, and NFL netork app.

Mine also received the OTA updates to bring it from version 4.2.2 up to 4.4.4.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones